Do elders still ask inactive members to write a letter to disassociating yourself from the Congregation?

by RULES & REGULATIONS 47 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• recluse
    recluse

i was very strongly told to write a simple statement saying i no longer wish to be a witness. it was during a judicial meeting when they asked if i was going to stop what i was doing. i said nope. one of the elders pushed a pen and piece of paper over to me. i wrote it out and was announced 2 weeks later. that was 27 years ago. l went back until about 8 years ago, but i faded this time. i wont disassociate myself, or admit to anything this time around

• cofty
    cofty

Elders WILL accept a verbal admission that an individual no longer recognises the organisation as god's channel as a statement of dissociation. I am personally aware of one occasion when exactly this was done following instruction from a circuit overseer.

As usual Morph cannot restrict himself to a civil discussion of facts but has to resort to obnoxious behaviour.

• _Morpheus
    _Morpheus

As usual cofty cannot simply accept he is wrong and move on. Notice the opening words of this topic:

Do today's elders ever meet with inactive members and pressure them to write a letter disassociating themselves from the congregation stating that, ''You no longer wish to a Jehovah Witness"?

I cited, chapter and verse, the current organization policy which states, unequivocally, that NO, elders are not push people to DA. I give zero damns what some random elder did or did not do, but please continue to stamp your feet and insist that your false views are relevant.

• cofty
    cofty

Regardless of written instructions, when it comes to cases of apostasy, elders may be directed to seek a verbal DA.

Your arrogance is matched by your naivety.

• Half banana
    Half banana

Morph, sadly it is a JW trait to believe you are always right. In the real world there is nearly always a case for different perspectives.

• _Morpheus
    _Morpheus

No no no!!! Im right even though morph proved me wrong!

😂😂😂😂 have fun with that. I leave you it.

• Simon
    Simon

The elders can announce you have DA'd yourself whether or not you write any letter - I know, they did it to me!

What recourse do you have? Short of storming the stage shouting "you lie, you lie" people will believe what they have been told.

They can revoke your membership at any time, but you can never chose to leave.

• steve2
    steve2

Perhaps I can be the sweeter version of Morpheus with whom I agree (again):

I am less convinced that JW organization has a policy of asking for written letters of disassociation (when local elders have asked for same) than the formal policy in the elders manual.

If elders ask for a written letter or statement, they appear to be going beyond their own elders manual. That means even if elders ask for a written letter or statement, it is not official policy. In an organization where all t's are crossed and i's are dotted regarding what elders are told to do, regional variations still appear to exist.

• cofty
    cofty

Steve - No letter is necessary.

• _Morpheus
    _Morpheus

Let me revise and extend my (correct and accurate) remarks...

i correctly stated:

I never heard of a policy where anyone was asked to write a letter da’ing themself and it certainly isn't a current policy. . Either you are df’d, you take the initiative to write a da letter or you are inactive.

I will extend it to say “either you are df’d, you take the initiative to da yourself (such as writing a letter) or you are inactive” There remains no policy where they try to force someone to da. As steve stated, local elders may do whatever they do, its not policy.

It is also policy that you can da by actions, as simon noted. Thats not them making you write a letter, as has been pointlessly debated in the face of evidence to the contrary.

To the OP’s question, no there is still no ask you to write a letter policy.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit