Do elders still ask inactive members to write a letter to disassociating yourself from the Congregation?

by RULES & REGULATIONS 47 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• RULES & REGULATIONS
    RULES & REGULATIONS
    Do today's elders ever meet with inactive members and pressure them to write a letter disassociating themselves from the congregation stating that, ''You no longer wish to a Jehovah Witness"?

I was baptized at the young age of 16. After turning 18, I stopped attending meetings, field service, and all Jehovah's Witness activities. I wanted to be with my high school friends, go to rock concerts, have a girlfriend, and live like a normal teen. ( My Jehovah's Witness mom went insane when I quit )

Elders would stop by to see why I stopped all activities and encouraged me to come back. After numerous attempts, they told my mom that I needed to write a letter and sign my name stating that, "I no longer wish be a Jehovah's Witness."

I did write the letter and had my mom hand deliver it. I never heard back from them. As to what they were going to do with the letter, I didn't know or cared.

Three years later I came back to the meetings. Thirty-Five years later, I left for good.

• blondie
    blondie

Not in my area, but they do ask sometimes "do you believe this is still God's organization?" and if you say no, you have disassociated yourself per their rules.

• Atlantis
    Atlantis

That is the way it is here to Blondie. Two elders can come to your door or call you on the phone and ask that question. If you say "No" then you have disassociated yourself.

Atlantis!

• newsheep
    newsheep

I had called Bethel in Georgetown On and told them I no longer wanted to be a member and the brother told me I would have to write a letter. I told him no I don't and that I will do it my way. He asked me for my name and what congregation I was from and I told him. A week later my name was mentioned from the platform. No one can make me do anything I don't want to do ever again!

• Wasanelder Once
    Wasanelder Once

When we received a letter of DA we were required to meet with the person to confirm it was their wish and not some emotional or otherwise influenced choice. We had to hunt them down and make an appointment with them. If they refused to meet, we took their word on it and DA'd them..I don't know how it is currently.

• _Morpheus
    _Morpheus

I never heard of a policy where anyone was asked to write a letter da’ing themself and it certainly isn't a current policy. . Either you are df’d, you take the initiative to write a da letter or you are inactive.

• Ding
    Ding

Not, "Do you still believe Jesus is 'the way, the truth, and the life' (John 14:6)?"

But, "Do you believe this is still God's organization?"

What does that tell you?

• cofty
    cofty
    Either you are df’d, you take the initiative to write a da letter or you are inactive - Morph

That isn't true. Blondie is correct. I have personal experience of elders trying to force a dissociation.

It doesn't have to be in writing. If you fail the loyalty question they will accept that as a DA.

• steve2
    steve2

What does the latest elders manual say?

Surely that's the best way to answer this very good question. If it does not cover this question at all, it suggests there may be regional variations but if it answers the question, that is the organization's official line.

• _Morpheus
    _Morpheus
    That isn't true. Blondie is correct. I have personal experience of elders trying to force a dissociation.

This isnt true. I am correct. As usual. And as usual i have plenty of evidance to back up my correct statments as opposed to you, cofty, who speaks with certitude on things and is more often than not, dead wrong. What is particularly troubling is that this relates to a book.. a book! Thats your strong suit, right..? Quoting books? Let me help you...

The latest elders manual makes no mention of asking somone to write a letter. In fact it specifically says that elders are not push someone to DA. Here is the relevant page. Note paragraph 2.

Please spend more time educating yourself before you pop off on things that are beyond you.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit