Interpretation of Scripture

by chacha 31 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• pomegranate
    pomegranate
    Is God's mercy for everyone who will desire his mercy and that will do his will?.

Yes, but even deeper. God will take whom ever He wishes to work out His will and purpose. That means anyone.

Rom 10:20
    20 And Isaiah boldly says, "I was found by those who did not seek me;
    I revealed myself to those who did not ask for me."

And do we not learn of God's will through study of the Bible?

Yes, amd through the spirit of Christ.

The Bible says study to show thy self approved, rightly deviding the word of God. Was God's revelation completed once and for all and given to us in the Bible or do you think new revelations are being made and are on going.

The latter on an individual basis.

Matt 11:27
    no one knows the Father except the Son and those to whom the Son chooses to reveal him.

I still do not have an answer to my question " Do you believe that anyone , anywhere,who just had a Bible, and no other litature, could understand it and be saved?"

That is really not mine to answer. I would say it is a good start. I will say this, God will "save" whomever He wants. But it's good to know He is a Just and Merciful God. He is like our Daddy you know, He does want what's best for us.

Rom 9:16-17
    16 It does not, therefore, depend on man's desire or effort, but on God's mercy...

Like the Apostle Paul.

1 Cor 15:9
    9 For I am the least of the apostles and do not even deserve to be called an apostle, because I persecuted the church of God.

Would your take on Paul be a forced or willing conversion? God wanted that man Paul, because Satan wanted him too. God wins. Everytime.

• chacha
    chacha

My take on Paul would be that he had a free will and could have chosen not to follow God but did so because he believed. Therefore, i believe it was a willing conversion.

If you say that reading the Bible is a good start, I take it to mean that you do not think the Bible alone could teach a person the plan of salvation. If the Bible is not enough, is there a leader or organization needed?

Today, more than ever before there are many religious groups which lead people astray from true Christianity.

Lets see if we can agree on certain identifying marks of such groups.
    Do you think a person should examine not only the teachings, but also the history of any religious organization before deciding it is the truth?

• pomegranate
    pomegranate
    My take on Paul would be that he had a free will and could have chosen not to follow God but did so because he believed. Therefore, i believe it was a willing conversion.

So your saying God has no power to predestine people? That Paul was not predestined to be a servant of God? That when God plans to use someone before the founding of the world, that the man foreknown, predestined, and called to do God's will and purpose can refuse? The Bible does not agree with your understanding:

Gal 1:13-17
    13 For you have heard of my previous way of life in Judaism, how intensely I persecuted the church of God and tried to destroy it. 14 I was advancing in Judaism beyond many Jews of my own age and was extremely zealous for the traditions of my fathers. 15 But when God, who set me apart from birth and called me by his grace, was pleased 16 to reveal his Son in me so that I might preach him among the Gentiles, I did not consult any man, 17 nor did I go up to Jerusalem to see those who were apostles before I was, but I went immediately into Arabia and later returned to Damascus.

Paul is saying in the above he was predestined and called. Paul shows below that this is exactly how God works.

Rom 8:29
    29 For those God foreknew he also predestined to be conformed to the likeness of his Son,

Rom 8:30
    30 And those he predestined, he also called; those he called, he also justified; those he justified, he also glorified.

When someone becomes a prisoner, are they in prison by freewill? Do they willingly put themselves in chains and say "lock me up?" No. Never. But Paul constantly refered to himself as a "prisoner of Christ." Why? Because in the manner in which he was "set apart from birth."

Eph 3:1
    3:1 For this reason I, Paul, the prisoner of Christ Jesus for the sake of you Gentiles-

Philem 1
    1:1 Paul, a prisoner of Christ Jesus,

If you say that reading the Bible is a good start, I take it to mean that you do not think the Bible alone could teach a person the plan of salvation. If the Bible is not enough, is there a leader or organization needed?

Organization? No. Leader? Absolutely! Christ and His spirit. The combination of Christ's spirit and the Bible are all that is needed. When people of Christ's time put faith in Him, or showed they had a strong belief of who He was, what did they do? They listened to His words and they went to HIM. So, there's the key, his Words and Him. They did not go to an organization, they did not go to another person to get to Him, they did not go to a governing body or a building, they went straight and directly to HIM. No middle man to Him. Just Him. After all, He is the divinely appointed middle man isn't he? We DO NOT need a middle man for the God appointed middle man, do we? Just because He is dead and gone in the flesh doesn't change the rules. listen to His words by reading the Bible, go to Christ and only Him, and He WILL come to you. Because that is all we need to get to the Father.

Discerning "identifying marks" is a judgement call. I am here to ascertain and build on my own individual understanding and teach my family, not to judge "identifying marks" of leaders or organizations of this world. I will let Christ do the identifying/judging.

Do you think a person should examine not only the teachings, but also the history of any religious organization before deciding it is the truth?

The Bible is the only truth to me. But for some, to get to that ultimate reality, examination of the worlds organized religions would indeed shed greater light on the fact that Christ is the only way, not man made "religions." Besides the Bible and Christ, everything else is so much darkness.

Religion is from man. Spirituality is from God.

• chacha
    chacha

Please go to the topic on Baptism for remission of sins and you will see what i was trying to accomplish . I agree with most everything you have said but could not understand your belief thinking you were all JW's. Please accept my apology after you read the above topic on
    Remission of Sins.

• pomegranate
    pomegranate

I am, and will pray for you both.

May God bless you both beyond your greatest expectations.

regards,
    pomegranate

• Cliff Jackson
    Cliff Jackson

Hi, I am totally new to this so here goes: If Jesus came back in 1914 and is now ruling, why do we need interpretation of the scriptures? Why was there false predictions about the "end?"

• Cliff Jackson
    Cliff Jackson

<<Luke 10:21
    21 At that time Jesus, full of joy through the Holy Spirit, said, "I praise you, Father, Lord of heaven and earth, because you have hidden these things from the wise and learned, and revealed them to little children.

Matt 11:27
    no one knows the Father except the Son and those to whom the Son chooses to reveal him.>>

Surely this wouldn't mean that only the Watchtower has received the "Truth?" They are indeed, "wise and learned!"

What role does Jesus have, now that He is "ruling," and directing His Organization?

Cliff

• Cliff Jackson
    Cliff Jackson

quote:
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I still do not have an answer to my question " Do you believe that anyone , anywhere,who just had a Bible, and no other litature, could understand it and be saved?"
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

<<That is really not mine to answer. I would say it is a good start. I will say this, God will "save" whomever He wants. But it's good to know He is a Just and Merciful God. He is like our Daddy you know, He does want what's best for us.>>

Surely God would "save" any sincere seeker who only had a Bible? That brings up an interesting point. If a person is born without knowlege of any God or Bible, and dies that way, will God give him multiple choices to choose from after the Resurrection? This person would have an unfair advantage over someone who had to sort through 2,000 varieties of Christianity.

• Cliff Jackson
    Cliff Jackson

My wife's name is Cha Cha. She has to use Cha_Cha_uno because someone got Cha Cha first!
    <<Today, more than ever before there are many religious groups which lead people astray from true Christianity.

Do you think a person should examine not only the teachings, but also the history of any religious organization before deciding it is the truth?>>

Are we in danger of getting locked out here? Are some here really JWs?

If the Mormons have many credible witnesses to the Golden Plates, why are they now believed? Christians only have 2nd or 3rd hand hearsay that was transcribed later, after the "fact." What is one to believe?

I still can't understand why there should be so many "Prophecies" by the Watchtower which fail, if Jesus is back and directing the WTB&TS. What role IS Jesus now playing if anything?

Did you ever get an answer to your question?

• patio34
    patio34

Hi Cliff!

Welcome to the board! Yes, there are a lot of Jehovah's Witnesses here. I am one, my sister is one, and some elders are here too. Are you one?

However, having said that, I am not going to answer the question of the thread nor tell you about the God of JWs. Because I, despite being called a JW for personal reasons, am mostly an atheist now.

So, as far as interpreting the Bible, it seems the old adage about 'you can use the Bible to prove anything' is applicable. So, I won't bother you with my newly found, albeit nascent, beliefs.

Nevertheless, WELCOME! One thing we all enjoy is a hearty discussion.

Pat

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit