Interpretation of Scripture

by chacha 31 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• chacha
    chacha

Can the Bible be interpreted correctly only by the Watchtower?
    Do you believe that the Bible was written to all people?

• pomegranate
    pomegranate

Personally, I believe interpretation comes directly frpm God and is 100% correct all the time.

Man has understanding as he reads and trys to comprehend the meaning of scripture. Interpretation will never be adjusted, but understanding can and does need to be adjusted as more and more comprehension is acquired.

I do believe the Bible was written for all people.

My understanding, which can and does get adjusted. :)

pomegranate

• chacha
    chacha

Do you mean through devine revelation or through study of the Bible?

• Introspection
    Introspection

I would like to point out that to interpret any written work, you have to interpret the language in which the work was written. Though this may be obvious, there always seems to be a question of the limitations of language. Ultimately meaning and understanding is in people, and for some the idea of a God that is like man is easier to accept because that is the extent of their mindset. Could it be that our thinking pattern needs to be completely changed to understand it? I'm not exactly talking about things like putting on the new personality, but there is a tendancy to make human beings the center of the universe..

• pomegranate
    pomegranate
    Do you mean through divine revelation or through study of the Bible?

Regarding understanding? Both of the above.

Matt 11:27
    no one knows the Father except the Son and those to whom the Son chooses to reveal him.

So, yes, understanding can be divinely revealed by the ones whom the Son chooses to give revelation.

I would like to point out that to interpret any written work, you have to interpret the language in which the work was written.

I would agree that one should analyze the way the Bible has been "translated." Things positively get lost in translation. I have found that to be especially true with the Hebrew.

That is why I have made it a point to study both the Hebrew and Greek in my quest for understanding. It is very revealing.

pomegranate

• chacha
    chacha

Could anyone, anywhere, who had only the Bible , and no ther litature
    understand it and be saved?
    Rev 22 verse 19, says "And if any man shall take away from the words of the book of this prophecy, God shall take away his part out of the book of life, and out of the holy city, and from the things that are written in this book".
    To me, this scripture says that the word of God as Written in the Bible is sufficient for salvation and no other words should be added to or taken from the word of God.

11Tim: 3 v15,16,17
    And that from a child thou hast known the holy scriptures, which are able to make thee wise unto salvation through faith which is in Christ Jesus.

16: All scripture is given by inspiration of God and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness:

17 That the man of God may be perfect, throughly furnished unto all good works.

If the scriptures be true, which i believe they are, one could be saved with reading and obeying the Bible only and no other litature would be necessary. Please, may i hear your comments on the above .

• chacha
    chacha

The complete scripture in Matt 11 v27
    Jesus is speaking and says " All things are delivered unto me(meaning Jesus) of my father: and no man knoweth the Son, but the Father, neither knoweth any man the Father, save the Son, and he (meaning the Son) to whomsoever the Son will reveal him.

v28: Come unto me (me, Jesus) ALL YE ( written to everyone) that labour and are heavy laden and I ( the I being Jesus) and I will give you rest"

Is the Son not revealed to all through the Holy Scriptures ( the Bible) since according to your reply ( the Bible was written for all)?

• pomegranate
    pomegranate
    Is the Son not revealed to all through the Holy Scriptures

To all???? In light of the following, you tell me. :)

John 5:39-40
    39 You diligently study the Scriptures because you think that by them you possess eternal life. These are the Scriptures that testify about me, 40 yet you refuse to come to me to have life.

Matt 11:25
    25 At that time Jesus said, "I praise you, Father, Lord of heaven and earth, because you have hidden these things from the wise and learned, and revealed them to little children.

Luke 10:21
    21 At that time Jesus, full of joy through the Holy Spirit, said, "I praise you, Father, Lord of heaven and earth, because you have hidden these things from the wise and learned, and revealed them to little children.

Matt 11:27
    no one knows the Father except the Son and those to whom the Son chooses to reveal him.

Rom 9:16-17
    16 It does not, therefore, depend on man's desire or effort, but on God's mercy.

pom

• chacha
    chacha

Is God's mercy for everyone who will desire his mercy and that will do his will?. And do we not learn of God's will through study of the Bible?
    The Bible says study to show thy self approved, rightly deviding the word of God.
    Was God's revelation completed once and for all and given to us in the Bible or do you think new revelations are being made and are on going.
    I still do not have an answer to my question " Do you believe that anyone , anywhere,who just had a Bible, and no other litature, could understand it and be saved?"
    11 Timothy 3 v 16 says : "All scripture is fiven by inspiration ( every scripture inspired)of God, and is profitable for doctrine,for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness:

v17 That the man of God may be perfect(complete), throughly furnished unto all good works.

John 2 v27: But the anointing which ye have received of him abideth in you, and ye need not that any man teach you: but as the same anointing teacheth you of all things, and is truth, and is no lie, and even as it hath taught you, ye shall abide in him Are we being told here that the Holy Spirit will teach us all things?

• chacha
    chacha

Again, my question: Do you believe that anyone, anywhere, who just had a Bible, and no other literature, could understand it and be saved?

May I please have a yes or no answer>

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit