need help

by ttwho 24 Replies latest jw friends

• ttwho
    ttwho

I wrote this to randy walters last year and would like your views on it.

Dear Randall

I have a lot to say but won't bore with the details, a brief introduction would be appropriate. I suffered with depression for great part if my teenage life and so when I listened to the JWs I embraced it with open arms, in about a year of studying I was baptised. Like so many I had no idea of the life to come, I have so much to say most of which you know or have heard from other JWs. Despite all that has happen there is something that still plagues me even 21/2 year after leaving.

I was raised with a belief in a god, I had a little knowledge of the angels and the demons, and in the year that I started studying I was awoken with the strange sensation that I was being choked! similar to being in a headlock. I chalked this down to a demon attack and my study conductor comforted me with the notion that god would protect me and that all I have to do have call out his name and everything would all right and the demon would not come back. Some time after, I moved house and became a member of the local congregation. It wasn't long before I was attacked in my sleep, the pain is EXCRUCIATING (I use the word 'is' because it still happens). I said nothing to anybody out of fear, I guess I blamed myself, I thought, well, I'm in god's true organisation, so I must be the weak link. So I all but stopped watching TV and stopped listening to music for fear that I was allowing them in somehow. My mother was 7th day Adventist and you may know, they don't believe in images so that ruled her out. Later on I got the chance to go to Florida with a brother who had a fleshly brother out there. I was also attacked in my sleep there. The following year I went back,(having fallen in love with America), this time I stayed with an elder and his family and again I was attacked, while sleeping in his daughters bed. The following year I went back to the states and the same thing happened again at another brother's house. It destroyed my faith in a god who is concerned with us personally. I remember a night when the ordeal was so traumatic that on the way to work to work I cried thinking of the reasons why god would let this happen to someone that supposedly had given is life to him. What was perplexing was that the bible says that 'you won't be tested more than you can bear' that god 'will always make a way out for you', sickness or illness I can understand, temptation from the opposite sex to fornicate, temptation to steal or lie I can understand, but asleep in your bed!!! Where's my way out?? The attacks makes me paralysed and unable to speak to I can't 'call out his name'. Praying franticly hasn't helped or I think it doesn't because nothing happens for a good while, and don't even get me started on the dreams where they introduced themselves to me and synchronised the pain to make me believe that it was real.

For 7 years I truly believed that this was the truth, nothing else would have made a seventeen-year-old give up his education and his life, and this is was what I got. To say that I'm angry is an understatement, however I am no longer bitter about the whole situation, just mega confused. Interestingly enough, after recently finding out about the true date of Jerusalem's destruction, it not being 607BCE, and its implication for the Watchtower society, I have been in contact with the JWs again, to discuss what I have found. They can't see the big picture and even if they could, most of them are far to dependent to leave and now start thinking for themselves. I got a copy of their new book, which discusses Daniel, it’s the only publication from the JWs in my bedroom, and low and behold, another attack and smiling face that fades away. It would bitter irony if all this time that the one thing that I thought would protect me from the demons is the one thing that has given them a free pass to rain on my parade. My obvious question would be, why the HELL is this happening to ME??? I'm far too insignificant to warrant all this attention from the demons. At the height of my 'spirituality' the attacks were every night. The more hours I put in, the more I was punished. When I hit a low and wanted to get back with more studying, the more I was punished. Even when I thought that this was Satan's way of trying to put me off the truth, is still didn't make sense to me. When I finally told an elder one who had been a CO and a DO, even he said that in the 40 or so years that he had been in the truth he had never heard of this, especially in a 1st world country.

As it stands, I still have a belief in god, but with this still going on, what I'm to think? Is this to be my penance for 7 years of trying to serve god the best way I could? I have become disillusioned with the whole concept of god and religion. The sheer ambiguity of if all is just too much for me to bear, thinking that god has answered your prayer only for it to blow up in your face, its just happened with too much constancy to be coincidence. I haven't spoken to god in sooo long I can't remember, and yet in the 21/2 years since I left, I have lived my life as if god doesn't care about me, but my quality of life has increase a thousand fold. Mentally, I have so much clarity that you would think that god and myself are inseparable. I do feel closer to him now that I'm not affiliated with a religion and don't expect ANTHING from him. Would this be the definition of a paradox??

Tell me…. what do you think.

• Mommie Dark
    Mommie Dark

wake up choking night after night? Have you consulted a PHYSICIAN? Why assume from the gate that it's DEEMINZ?

See this is what I mean about our preconceptions and religious indoctrination coloring our perception of events.

BYW this IS a classic description of night terrors. My advice, see a doctor ASAP and rule out physical symptoms before calling the exorcist.

• ttwho
    ttwho

mommie

you need to take the experience as a whole, the choking only happen once! how would a doctor diagnose the bouts of pain? and what I never mentioned is the time I had my covers stripped off me only to be confronted by a humanoid image with no features!!!!, if you were a doctor you would have had me committed!, your reply is typical of someone who has never experienced this sort of thing 1st or 3rd hand. If you had you would sing a different tune

• Mommie Dark
    Mommie Dark

if I had experienced those things my first stop would be my doctor, to rule out brain tumor, night terrors, or other physical causes. My next step would be to get a videocam and record every minute of my sleeptime. What I would never do is consult some witch doctor in disguise of an elder or other religiopsycho. They just feed the fear without offering any actual assistance besides petitioning some skydaddy and blaming the victim. I would definitely consult a sleep expert and probably get a trusted friend or neutral adviser to observe my 'prime time' of experience.

What I would NOT do is whinge about deeminz and reject any advice that didn't agree with my established religioprejudices.

You know NOTHING about my experience or what tunes I can sing. You obviously don't want help reviewing the alternatives, you want someone to validate your theory that associating with JWs led you to demonic attack. If this fantasy comforts you or you need that fantasy to feel important to God, why bother to ask for others' opinions?

• You Know
    You Know

Jesus, of course, had numerous encounters with the demons. Interestingly, on one occasion when his disciples were unable to cast a particularly stubborn demon out of a young boy, Jesus said something to the effect that this kind can only be dealt with through prayer. That doesn't necessarily mean that one prayer or even many will bring an end to demon harassment, but intense supplication on a regular basis can.

A number of years ago, when I lived in Texas, I knew an older brother who was harassed by the demons for years. The elders had been to his place and looked for things that he may have picked up that had some occult connection. He threw away lots of stuff, but still no relief. He even moved out of his house and got a house trailer, but still the harassment continued. I had just moved into the congregation and heard of his situation, and so I took an interest in him and used to go over to his place and chat with him and pray with him. One day I intensely supplicated Jehovah for him. Later that evening he called me on the phone and asked if I had been praying for him. When I told him that I had, his voice began shaking and he broke down weeping and thanking me saying that today had been the first day that he had gotten any relief. But, as it turned out, some time later the demons returned. But, gradually over time the attacks subsided and he was left in peace.

Here's the thing as regards your situation: The demons are opportunists. They are animalistic, in that they are like predators that can sense any weakness in their intended prey. In your case, dealing with depression, and perhaps some other physical or chemical imbalances, which you may not even be aware of, the demons were able to terrorize you my exploiting some mental illness that you had. So it wasn't just a matter for Jehovah to make them go away seeing that there may be an underlying physical condition that you are dealing with. At any rate, it seems that the real problem is your lack of faith. It seems to me that you were unwilling to go the long haul and allow Jehovah's will to be completely done. You placed certain qualifiers upon your faith in God. That's not a wise thing to do. There's a Proverb that says something like: 'It is the foolishness of man that distorts his way, and yet his heart becomes enraged against Jehovah himself.'

It sounds to me as if that is what has happened in your case, in that, because Jehovah did not respond the way YOU THOUGHT he should, you then determined that he was not acting appropriately toward you. You have instead called God a liar because you say that he broke his word and let you be tempted beyond what you could bear. It is evident that you also placed certain other qualifications upon your dedication to God, like WT chronology. In other words: Your relationship with God and Christ depended upon Jehovah making the demons leaving you alone and the WT gettin certain prophecies in order. In your case the ransom sacrifice of Christ was just not enough for you.

Yet, you are still left with the knowledge that there are demons running loose in the world stalking mankind like serial killers. Most people don't know that. Most apostates seem to have rejected the revelation of Christ that demons run the world, so they become the ready and willing pawns of those cosmic apostate thugs. You, on the other hand, know that the demons exist. You must also know that Christ will eventually lock them up and eventually execute them. So, in that respect you had been given a gift, in a way. You are aware of certain unseen realities that govern this world. My advice to you is not to cowardly shrink back into the demon camp. Even if you experience no relief in this system, you at least have an opportunity to show God that there is no situation so unpleasant or terrible that can cause you to turn against him. At the very latest your problem will take care of itself when the demons get crushed under Christ's kingdom. / You Know

• ttwho
    ttwho

mommie

What gives you the impression that that this a whinge? Why would someone who is not affiliated with any region or hasn’t spoken to god need to feel important to god? Regardless of how you feel the REAL reason for this post is justified in your very response. I assume that you have in the past or still hold some spiritual awareness, and yet look at how you are responding to me!!! If this is how YOU are responding then how would someone with little to no spiritual awareness react? Shortly after posting this I found another post where lots of people are posting their experiences, not one person there is trying to convince them that they have a brain tumor!!!! After reading their posts it made me realise that I’m not crazy, ill, or in need of a trusted friend watch me while sleep, your hostility toward me is unfounded. If I needed
    “someone to validate your theory that associating with JWs led you to demonic attack. If this fantasy comforts you or you need that fantasy to feel important to God,”
    then I wouldn’t have left!

• You Know
    You Know

Hey, she don't call herself Mommie Dark for no good reason. / You Know

• joelbear
    joelbear

I too used to fairly regularly have this type of experience although it sounds like yours are much worse than mine.

I would have a bad dream, half wake up paralyzed and not able to move or to speak. It stopped happening to me about 5 years after I left the Watchtower society.

For me I think it clearly coincided with me not taking religion and life so seriously.

I tend to not believe in demons or ghosts or angels for that matter.
    It seems to me that the more people are preoccupied with such things the more likely they are to have these types of experiences.

My suggestion to you is to keep yourself busy, get a hobby that tires you out physically, so that at night, you will tend to sleep deeper and have less fitfulness.

I would however, also suggest seeing a doctor before making major changes to your routine.

hugs

Joel

• ARoarer
    ARoarer

Hi, I just posted a detailed answer to you but somehow it got lost. I because of a problem logging in. I hope the moderator can retrieve what I posted,as it took awhile to post it.

• ttwho
    ttwho

Joel
    Thanks joel,

My life now is a lot better since I left, I have a son who just turn one last Thursday and I’m IT manager of a law firm so my life is very full, I wanted some feed back about my experience because it hasn’t happen for a while but if still bugs me as to why, mommie got the wrong end of the stick, sounds like he/she is carrying a lot of baggage and its being taken out on me like its my fault…..sound's a lot like my girlfriend

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit