JWs And Superstitions

by NotFormer 28 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Vidiot
    Vidiot
    NotFormer - Do you think that the hysterical beliefs were more likely to be held the further a JW was from any responsibility within the organisation? i.e. were the elders expected to keep a lid on it and maintain discipline, but they tolerated it within the ranks?”

Oh, abso-fucking-lately.

If it kept the rank-and-file scared of “Satan’s World”, it was useful…

of course they tolerated it.

I got the occasional stink-eye for debunking that shit.

• stan livedeath
    stan livedeath

oh christ--where do i begin !

my old mum was completely crazy. A converted JW that believed anything she heard...mixed in with old wives tales and black magic.

I grew up on a diet of demons--in fact i was terrified by it all.

Even my dad got in on the act. He was in other respects a deep thinking quiet clever man--but oh boy did he swallow all the demon stuff.

What chance did i have ?

• Rattigan350
    Rattigan350

I remember back in 1976 when I was a kid the songs "Devil Woman" and "Magic Man" were considered bad. Also Paul McCartney's "With a little Luck". I've always liked that song, but couldn't let others know.

Now with this thought of Jehovah being offended by violent movies, etc

• greenhornet
    greenhornet

I remember the group Santana. To them it was Satin

• Vidiot
    Vidiot
    Rattigan350 - “…Now with this thought of Jehovah being offended by violent movies…”

I know, right?

Completely disregarding the fact that The Bible has more hard-R content than Quentin Tarantino’s entire filmography.

😒

• road to nowhere
    road to nowhere

Anti superstitious. Refuse to fun people with black cats, ladders. Santa, Etc.

Today refuse to eat black eye peas.

But superstitious (breaking made ul riles)about using name jehovah, going in service, shunning

• Ron.W.
    Ron.W.

Terry - LOVE that pic! 👍👍🤣🤣

• AudeSapere
    AudeSapere

Satan and his demons are always watching us and are experts at catching our subtle individual behaviours to get clues on what will tempt us.

They then use this insight to entice us to sin against Jehovah and the org.

Demons attaching themselves to household items was terrifying.

My dad often gave the public talk "Deliver Us From the Wicked One". I traveled with him whenever he gave that one. All sorts of anecdotal stories of demon possession and the need to be always alert to ways in which Satan and his minions can harm us and draw us away from Jehovah.

• NotFormer
    NotFormer

road to nowhere: "Anti superstitious. Refuse to fun people with black cats, ladders. Santa, Etc.

Today refuse to eat black eye peas.

But superstitious (breaking made up rules)about using name jehovah, going in service, shunning"

I had a strong feeling that they would be discouraged from the more "mainstream" superstitions held by broader society. Especially since a lot of them grew out of Catholicism, eg. the number thirteen, and some are holdovers from paganism.

But these pages are filled with examples of superstitions that the JWs themselves have adopted. You give a few examples.

Related to superstitious beliefs and behaviours are the urban legends: https://www.jehovahs-witness.com/topic/186552/list-prominent-jw-urban-legends

• greenhornet
    greenhornet

I remember this one...A young sister went to a criminal's door. After he got arrested the police asked him why he not did not attack this "sister" He answered because there are 2 big guys next to her

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit