What you think consequences gonna be for watchtower if they lose the court appeal in Norway?

by Hellothere 46 Replies latest watchtower scandals

• notsurewheretogo
    notsurewheretogo

Surprised they lost and it seems to be the DF of minors and the impact that swung it.

It's a risky game if the WT appeal it and go higher because if there was a chance to lose that then all they have done is highlighted to a further audience the issues.

Didn't I read Slovakia are away to do the same?

Interesting times for the WT legally.

• DesirousOfChange
    DesirousOfChange
    It's a risky game if the WT appeal it and go higher because if there was a chance to lose that then all they have done is highlighted to a further audience the issues.

It sure seems to me that they are LOSING a majority of legal cases they are in recently. They surely have to have concerns about this and the appearance it projects. It's easy to see the danger of a precedence being set in one member of the EU that could cause a domino effect on their status in all of them.

When dominoes fall, how fast the row topples depends on friction

• NotFormer
    NotFormer

They used to brag about their success rates in court cases and lobbying. They hardly ever win any victories now. What's changed: the nature of the cases, the tolerance of governments and the courts, or something else?

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

They bought into their own internal hype that their court victories were evidence of God’s favor, rather than the result of hard work by shrewd lawyers…

…decades later, that can’t help but foster the idea that the Org is, for all intents and purposes, invincible and destined to prevail…

…an attitude that inevitably inspires misguided and increasingly catastrophic strategic blunders, such as picking fights they don’t actually have a hope of winning, and then scratching their heads as to YTF it’s happening (in addition to making them look shady, callous, and frankly, kinda stupid).

Not to mention that at this point, their business model’s become almost completely dependent on tax-exemption and/or subsidies, judging by the borderline-panicked reaction they display every time the possibility of losing ‘em raises its ugly head.

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

I’m not surprised if shunning minors was the sticking point. I don’t see how anyone can defend that. Watchtower should either make a rule that you can’t get baptised until you’re an adult, or else make a rule that you can’t get DFed and/or shunned as a consequence if you’re a minor. If they don’t make some sort of compromise then it seems reasonable for the state to withdraw privileges and recognitions from a group which practices shunning of minors. In fact, you could argue it would be reasonable to go further and ban such a group outright unless they change the policy, because religious freedom is not a reasonable ground for harming children. You could argue that an adult has capacity to enter into an agreement that could result in shunning but I don’t see how you can make that argument with minors.

• LongHairGal
    LongHairGal

NOT FORMER:

How things have changed over the decades!

The nature of the cases now is that the Witnesses are not the victims anymore! No, now it appears they are in the role of ‘bad guy’ and trampling somebody else’s human rights.

If this religion was running the whole show there would be a world-wide dictatorship.

• TonusOH
    TonusOH

Jesus got baptized when he was 29 or 30, didn't he? Make that the new limit.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit