Foiled conversion attempt!

by caligirl 17 Replies latest jw friends

• caligirl
    caligirl

Someone will be very disappointed tomorrow morning!

I am home on maternity leave right now, and this has given me the opportunity to meet people in our neighborhood that I might never have come in contact with otherwise. A few weeks ago, I started chatting with a mother who was out for a walk with her toddler. Today, I stopped by her house to visit for a while. We were talking about getting together to start walking and she mentioned that she couldn't walk tomorrow because a woman she had met while at Legoland with her son was stopping by to talk about bible stuff. ( We live in a gated community where they are not permitted to do the door to door crap) It sounds like they may have had an informal bible study a few times at Legoland- this woman is using the time she has with her grandaughter at Legoland to get a little service time. How convenient! So she told me about being given a few sets of magazines and how this woman brought an extra bible with her so that she didn't have to use a different translation. I'd never heard of anyone trying to switch a potential recruit over to the NWT from the start - I thought that came later.

So after she told me all this, she asked my opinion about witnesses. Apparently her husband had told her that he didn't want witnesses in the house, and she thought that he was just being unreasonable in his opinions and that the religion couldn't be what he said because the woman seemed so nice. She told me that his mother was married to a witness once, though she never became on herself. I told her that I was raised a witness and that she did not want ANYTHING to do with them and her husband was dead on with his wish that she not get involved. I explained that they were a cult and gave her a brief synopsis on all the baggage that came with being a witness that they would not tell her about until they had her roped in. Siffice to say that my 20+ years as a witness behind my statements convinced her that I knew what I was talking about.

For good measure I dropped by tonight with an article on the blood issue printed from the internet, since that was something we talked about, and a copy of Diane Wilson's book. I wish that I had a copy of Crisis of Conscience to give her as well! So this woman will be coming by in the morning is expecting a nice study, and instead she will be getting the sad news that this is one conversion that will not be happening. I will be stopping by later tomorrow morning to get all the dirt on what happens.

• micheal
    micheal

Great move Caligirl!!! You just may have saved someone from years of misery. Good for you!!!

• smurfette
    smurfette

Good job caligirl! I hope she listens to your advice.

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

It's great that you are educating her... just be careful not to throw too much at her at once. I lost a few people on my magazine route because I kept dumping too many books on them in too short of a time.

• sens
    sens
    this woman brought an extra bible with her so that she didn't have to use a different translation.

Usually this come's later....but have heard of JW's giving them as gifts to co-workers. Plus makes it easier if they dont have to explain how passages are 'worded up' to support WTS doctrine.

But its Great! Well Done ~!!! ~ keep up the 'informal witnessing' lol

3 Sens 4

• yxl1
    yxl1

Now THATS what I want to hear!! Well done!

• run dont walk
    run dont walk

awesome !!!!!!!!, keep us updated on this.

• run dont walk
    run dont walk
    ( We live in a gated community where they are not permitted to do the door to door crap)

I think we will see more of this as time goes by, people do NOT want them calling on their house. The story in Blainville, Quebec, Canada (even though they lost temporaily) is going to become law soon. With more and more secure living communities, gated, fenced, guards on duty, I see alot of this in the rich areas, and you CANNOT get in their to preach.

• caspian
    caspian

It is good to see the "informal witness" work against the Borg .

Its funny how the society taught us so well over the years that we can now turn those skills against them

Cas.

• Panda
    Panda

Caligirl, What a wonderful "witness" you've given! My friends sister was having visits w/ witnesses and I told her my story and certain things to ask them. They told her that if I left the WTS I must have done something really bad. She took afront to that comment (she knew me) and I've been patting myself on the back ever since. I joyfully share my anti cultiness with anyone in need.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit