Tribute to the Troops (USA)

by Uzzah 44 Replies latest jw friends

• Uzzah
    Uzzah

The following is a link to a slideshow prepared as a tribute to the military men and women protecting their country. Yes it is focused on the US military.

This is not about Iraq or whether or not you like the USA. Just a tribute and I ask that you remember that as you reply (if you do) to this thread.

Enjoy.

http://www.pressaprint.com/som/WeSupportU2.htm

• Simon
    Simon

"Protecting their country"

You do KNOW where the USA is compared to Iraq don't you ?!

• Uzzah
    Uzzah

Simon:

I guess you missed this part.

This is not about Iraq or whether or not you like the USA. Just a tribute and I ask that you remember that as you reply (if you do) to this thread.

If you watched the slideshow you would see it also referenced WW2. Or are you against the US involvement in that war too.

This is not about indiviudal battles or wars but showing support for the individuals who have chosen to defend and protect their countries. (and sometimes other's countries too)

Uzzah

• ballistic
    ballistic

I like this picture from the same web site about avoiding paying tax to the government:

• Uzzah
    Uzzah

Let's see so far I've had two replies.

Both completely off-topic and ignoring the request of the person originating the thread.

Both made by moderators.

• Prisca
    Prisca
    If you watched the slideshow you would see it also referenced WW2. Or are you against the US involvement in that war too.

Well, considering that the US only got involved right at the end of the whole show....

Uzzah, posting a thread like this is only going to start another debate about America's involvement in Iraq etc. It's a topic that's been beaten to death.

Also, we who live in countries outside of America and Canada can spot nationalistic propaganda more readily. We're not exposed to it as much, so whilst an American might see it as "supporting the troops", it comes across to us as "yet another piece of American propaganda".

Propaganda exists not only in JW world but also life in general.

• IronGland
    IronGland
    Well, considering that the US only got involved right at the end of the whole show....

Prisca, I believe you are thinking of WW1. WW2 lasted 6 years. The US was involved for just under 4 years. Dec '41-Sept '45.

I love this picture.

• think41self
    think41self

Hi Uzzah,

Let's start over again and pretend this is the first reply.

I watched the slide show and I enjoyed it. Do you have family in the military? My oldest son is away at basic training right now, in the infantry, and I found the slide show paying tribute to them to be very moving. I know many of them TRY to live up to the ideals of courage, honor and brotherhood, ideals that I have no problem at all with my son emulating. Thank you!

Tracy

• safe4kids
    safe4kids
    This is not about indiviudal battles or wars but showing support for the individuals who have chosen to defend and protect their countries

Why is it so damn hard for people to just NOT RESPOND if they don't happen to agree? I can understand it if a person leaves it open to discussion, asks a question or whatever, but when the originator of a thread explains politely that it is in support of those individuals who are putting their lives on the line....why cannot that be honored?? Sheesh, it ain't rocket science.

Personally, I'm very proud of my nephew and all of the other men and women throughout the years who have taken up the mantle of responsibility, honor and courage to serve in the military. Doesn't mean I support every decision made by our government but I have no difficulty honoring the people themselves, which is what this thread is all about.

Dana

*rant over*

• 2escaped lifers
    2escaped lifers
    Also, we who live in countries outside of America and Canada can spot nationalistic propaganda more readily. We're not exposed to it as much, so whilst an American might see it as "supporting the troops", it comes across to us as "yet another piece of American propaganda".

So you *don't* believe in supporting those troops? Those men and women who have left families, jobs, and friends behind to risk their lives to protect others? And remember, its not just US troops. It's UK, several european countries, and if the UN gets involved more than likely there will be Australians there as well.

Could you explain more about what you mean by "American propaganda"?

regards,

Brandon

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit