More information needed regarding End Time Religions/Sects

by Prins Vaillant 13 Replies latest jw friends

• Prins Vaillant
    Prins Vaillant

This year I am going to write my thesis about the End Time, Armageddon, ...
    Do you have knowledge of other religious movements or sects who believe in a sort of end of the world as we know it. Please comment. Is there always a "destruction" of the others (unbelievers)? Would you say believing in such a thing is a pessimistic or an optimistic world view? (remember: Paradise is right around the corner? ;))

Thank you,
    Prins Vaillant

• czarofmischief
    czarofmischief

Garybuss would know.

CZAR

• funkyderek
    funkyderek

The book The End of Time by Damian Thompson is a very good introduction to the subject.

• Ravyn
    Ravyn

welcome Prins V!

the english word for end times is: eschatology

you might do a search on it. Also besides Armageddon, there are other names. some of them are:

Ragnarok, War between the Sons of Light and The Sons of Darkness, Apocalypse, Doomsday.

and some good sites:

http://www.religioustolerance.org/end_wrld.htm

http://www.newadvent.org/cathen/05528b.htm

http://pages.prodigy.net/aesir/esch.htm

Ravyn

• heathen
    heathen

I think the baptists are still waiting on the rapture . I remember some catholics that believe the earth will fall into the sun . I see some televangelists like jack van impe who believe in the coming messianic kingdom .

• Prins Vaillant
    Prins Vaillant

Thank you for you reactions... It feels kinda weird, after six years of visiting freeminds.org and possibly clicking on every link to this jehovahs-witness.com-forum to be called a newbee. Very hilarious. :-)

For your efforts, I will reveal my current studies ;) ... I'm studying Anthropology... But was also a pioneer in my "best years" - my youth - for 5 years. It's my luck I have another chance studying "wordly" knowledge. :)

• mustang
    mustang

Bear in mind that JW's are an offshoot of the several Adventist groups, such as Seventh Day Adventists (SDA). Start there, but you might look for the few other surviving (and much smaller in number) groups of BIBLE STUDENTS.

The JW's don't like the notion that they are part of a "family tree" of other religions, but this puts it all in perspective. I'll PM you with a link.

Mustang

• NeonMadman
    NeonMadman

Some time ago, I read a book called Soothsayers of the Second Advent, by William Alnor. It's been a while, but as I recall, it gave a pretty good overview of modern end-times predictions. I'm not sure it's still in print, but if you can score a copy, you might find it to be helpful.

• Winston Smith :>D
  • JeffT
    JeffT

The Adventist movement largely started with William Miller, who predicted the end would come in 1843. I believe he also used the year for a day method to intrepret the Bible.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit