More information needed regarding End Time Religions/Sects

by Prins Vaillant 13 Replies latest jw friends

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

I just picked up a book at the second had book store about this but haven't taken it out of the bag yet. I will take a llok and get back to you in here

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

Ok the book I found is called

Apocalypses: Prophecies, cults and millennial beliefs through the ages

by Eugen Weber (no e on Eugen)

1999 by Vintage Press Canada

It seems to list a lot of groups and has a lot of info - 240 pages worth

Back cover

What drove eminent historian Eugen Weber to write Apocalypse? His desire to redress the historical and religious amnesia that has consigned the study of apocalyptic and millennialist thought to the lunatic fringe. An absolute belief in the end time was omnipresent until the 17tt century, and retains many adherents even now. Apocalyptic visions and prophesies inspired crusades, scientific discoveries, works of art, voyages such as those of Columbus, rebellions, and reforms.

Seems there are a few paragraphs on the JWs none of them very flattering. And he nails Rutherford quite well as a lunatic

• Phil
    Phil

All religions have some sort of preconceived idea that the world will come to an end at specific times. Scientivically our sun still has a life of millions of years and when it goes out that will be the end of life on earth.

As far as heaven and earth is concerned, they are both here on earth. It is all in your mind and you can make life heaven if you think about it in that way. Life can be hell also. It is all up to you.

I have arrived at this conclusion after lots of reading. There is not a religion on earth that can satisfy the inquisititive mind. We will know the answer of a supreme being when we can answer how the universe works.

• willyloman
    willyloman

About a year ago, Time magazine did a cover story on "the last days" and covered this topic very well. I was struck by the fact that JWs were not even mentioned in the article! This by one of the largest news-gathering organizations on the planet(!)

It just goes to show that despite all the hyperbole within the WTS, the role of JWs in preaching the end of this system is simply NOT common knowledge among the masses. If it were, JWs would have been prominently featured in the series of stories on the subject... or at least MENTIONED.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit