Micro-expressions! Fascinating!

by DATA-DOG 10 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• DATA-DOG
    DATA-DOG

While doing some research about micro-expressions and sexuality ( another fascinating subject/ basically Gay-dar ) I came across this article:

http://phenomena.nationalgeographic.com/2012/03/29/correcting-hollywood-science-the-microexpressions-of-mike-daisey-edition/

I used to watch 'Lie to Me.' and knew that it was based on real science, although it had a healthy dose of entertainment value. Let's face it, most people don't enjoy dry, purely scientific presentations. Speaking of "let's face it", let's look at "Lett's face" one more time!

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=VYxG2F3Wd8c

What have scientists discovered about liars? Here is a list from the NatGeo article.

• People who touch their hand to their forehead and/or look down may be feeling shame or guilt, which can be signs of lying.
    • Contrary to the widely held belief that people look away when lying, liars are actually more likely to look you dead in the eye when spinning their webs.
    • Liars often use “distancing language,” or words that push an idea away. The example used on the show is when Bill Clinton said, “I did not have sexual relations with that woman, Miss Lewinsky.” That woman. Another example is swapping first-person for third person.
    • Liars will often shake their head no when they’re verbally saying yes, or vice-versa.
    • Liars will sometimes lift one shoulder

Stephen Lett uses very distinct language and definitely makes direct eye-contact. As mentioned in the NatGeo article, Lett also shows signs of contempt in his facial features, while in my opinion, Richard Ashe shows signs of sadness and guilt.

Liars will also trip over their words as though they are struggling to speak. How often have we noticed the GB seemingly forcing sentences of "nu-light" from their stammering gobs? What about substituting first-person for third-person? The GB love to speak of "The Slave" and the "Governing Body" as if those entities are disctinct and have no real relationship to themselves!

I just thought that I would share this info. I know some of you love this type of thing. It's definitely more interesting that the meetings at the Kingdumb Hell.

DD

• Oubliette
    Oubliette
    Interesting stuff, although due to the inherently subjective, and highly interpretive nature of these skills, the process can easily turn into justification for a witch hunt.
  • DarioKehl
    DarioKehl
    I heard from a credible source that he has a bad stuttering problem ( or maybe Tourette's?) and these grotesque, over-exaggerated mannerisms are actually his way of controlling the disorder.
  • nonjwspouse
    nonjwspouse

I LOVE, LOVE that my husband has become extremely interested in watching "Lie to Me" on netflix. Interestingly there was one episode about a JW boy.

I also hope it helps his to watch and analyze. Maybe, hopefully,....

• DATA-DOG
    DATA-DOG

It's subjective for sure. Science can't even explain how humans pick up certain subtleties of human behavior. Is it a survival instinct?

Sometimes we get a "gut feeling" about someone, or a situation. What's going on? Are we analyzing data on a subconscious level?

Oubliette,

I can't see any serious witch-hunts resulting from these studies. The only witch-hunts that I have seen, or experienced, stem from fearful, superstitious, sycophantic, religious nutters. Their ignorance was the catalyst, not any scientific study.

DD

• Oubliette
    Oubliette

DD, I didn't say the studies would result in a "witch-hunt" but I could see someone claiming their abilities to "read people" could be used as justification for a witch-hunt.

Just imagine some elder reading the same article you did, taking the $20 online course on "lie detection" and then going full-tilt-boogie on some poor JW because they blinked or twitched or looked down when they were being interrogated by a Judicial Committee of window-washers and janitors. The elders already think they have "holy spirit" guiding their inquisitorial procedures.

Now you get the picture.

• DATA-DOG
    DATA-DOG

LOL! I guess that could happen.

I don't know too many Elders who would even desire to hear what science has to say about anything. My old Eldubs had no idea what cognitive dissonance was, until I told them. 😈

DD

• Diogenesister
    Diogenesister
    • Liars will sometimes lift one shoulder
    • Antony Morris III shoulder twitcher extraordinaire!!!
  • slimboyfat
    slimboyfat
    I read a book and I forget the title and it's really annoying me. It was by an American academic. But it says micro expressions are bogus. If you want to know what someone is thinking the most reliable way yet devised is simply to ask them. Pretty radical conclusion!
  • Vidiot
    Vidiot

"People who touch their hand to their forehead and/or look down may be feeling shame or guilt, which can be signs of lying."

I don't think this would apply to "professional" liars like politicians or religious authoritarians.

Those people tend to be sociopaths, who are not particularly known for shame or guilt.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit