I’m Sending You My Thoughts and Prayers

by minimus 29 Replies latest jw friends

• minimus
    minimus

How many people here can sincerely say those words to someone? I take it most here do not say prayers, right??

• LoveUniHateExams
    LoveUniHateExams

Well, I'm not religious so I wouldn't usually say 'you are in my prayers.'

I would say ...

'You are in my thoughts'

'Thinking of you'

'All the best'

If I become ill and a religious person says to me 'you're in my prayers' or even 'I'll pray for you' it wouldn't offend me in the slightest. Plus when you're ill, you need all the help you can get. XD

I'm trying to teach myself Arabic and belief in God is strongly entrenched across the Arab world.

One of my neighbours is an elderly Kurdish guy who knows some Arabic. When I said goodbye to him on one particular occasion, I said "fi aman Allah" (this is a phrase that can be used to say goodbye and it means 'in the custody of Allah' - you're leaving someone for God to look after).

I don't even believe in God but I think it's a sweet expression. What can you do XD

• ttdtt
    ttdtt

Its like saying "god bless you" means nothing at all.

• Giordano
    Giordano

No one is in my prayers.......including myself. So I don't say that.

I do wish people well.

I do something odd too...........I raise my evening martini and salute someone.......... usually someone on this forum who has shared something special, or made me lol, or put a smile on my face, often a person that made me think about something I hadn't thought about before. I use your proper forum name when I raise my glass. Sounds goofy I guess... I started doing this after I picked out my forum image.

• Xanthippe
    Xanthippe

I dunno I think I'd like someone to phone me or send me a text if I'm struggling rather than say they'll pray for me. If they're sending me good thoughts why not put that thought into action and pick up the phone.

If I'm concerned about someone I ask what I can do and I mean it. Just let people know you're thinking good thoughts about them by talking to them.

• William Penwell
    William Penwell

As a non religious person I never use the term ""sending my thoughts and prayers".

• steve2
    steve2

My JW aunt used to tell me she was sending me her "houghts and prayers". Decades later, I'm still waiting, aunty.

• blondie
    blondie

I hate it when people do this. It's like the scripture in the bible at James 2:15, 16

15 If any brothers or sisters are lacking clothing* and enough food for the day, 16 yet one of you says to them, “Go in peace; keep warm and well fed,” but you do not give them what they need for their body, of what benefit is it?+

Those words are not specific, not done with action, of no benefit.

• road to nowhere
    road to nowhere

I don't know someone elses belief all the time. And as far as I can tell a lot of prayers go up in smoke. I will give best wishes/thoughts to anyone, including mentioning prayer if I think it is appropriate to make them feel better.

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

Actions speak louder than words .

Since praying (talking) to a god that doesn't exist isn't going to do anything , the expression may have relevance from an emotional perspective.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit