The Watchtower is not invincible

by Coded Logic 54 Replies latest watchtower scandals

• The Rebel
    The Rebel

An interesting O.P " The Watchtower is not invincible"

Yet 10 years ago who would have believed " The Watchtower" would have embraced the Internet, created its own tv channel, and have its own flag?

Sadly I also believe the " Watchtower" has created its own poetry, a language it expresses in its literature about a day when billions will be slaughtered by Jehover. Sadly this religious poetry will always appeal to some of my neighbours, and those who live in a tower block.

Therefore I think the interesting question is why does the slaughter of billions on Jehovers day at Armageddon appeal and attract a following?

My answer is because there is something terribly wrong with society, and the " Watchtower" exploits this and offers a world that doesn't judge people by materalistic success. Instead it offers members a world not controlled by T.V, Nike, McDonald's and Coco-Cola....and in many ways the " Watchtower" world is very appealing.

Today on the news I learnt :-

A) That Global warming is real,

B) That refugees have a horrible life,

C) That David Beckams son wants to be a photographer,

D) That people have been queing for a week to be at the premier of the latest star- wars movie.

When I last checked my national newspaper on the Internet, the Beckham and Star-wars stories had more comments than the Global warming and refugee crisis.

My point is I believe people join cults because our society is such a mess.

The Rebel.

• stuckinarut2
    stuckinarut2

Great thread!

I love this from the original post:

They are so out of touch they have no way to communicate with people on the outside. And it is becoming harder and harder for them to hide their tribalistic, misogynistic, homophobic, transphobic, blood refusing, tight pants hating, us vs the whole damn world bigoted mentality.

No amount of whitewashing history or self indoctrination is going to solve their problems. Because fooling yourself doesn't get you out of trouble. And it often get you into even worse set of circumstances even faster. You can't disarm a ticking time bomb by closing your eyes and plugging your ears.

• park ave boy
    park ave boy

Cults are dangerous because you don't know you are in a cult.

I believe that the JW.borg will be around in 10 years but as a much smaller group.

People are waking up to the most recent lies.

• Coded Logic
    Coded Logic

It's true that "there are a lot of suckers out there" but that doesn't solve their problems for two reasons. The first is that they're going to start losing members faster than they can recruit them. Their entire model both financially and theologically is dependent upon upward growth.

And the second problem is "suckers" don't have much money to give and don't make for good managers in congregations or circuits or branch offices. They really need people with good critical thinking and problem solving skills but instead they continue to alienate such people if not drive them away entirely.

Yet 10 years ago who would have believed " The Watchtower" would have embraced the Internet, created its own tv channel, and have its own flag?
    -The Rebel

And embracing such things has not managed to turn the ship around. They've engaged on a mass rebranding effort and that still hasn't helped their problems because they refuse to address their problems. You can put a fresh coat of paint on a sinking ship - which may well look nice - but it's not going to stop the ship from sinking.

I believe that the JW.borg will be around in 10 years but as a much smaller group.
    Park Ave Boy

I quite agree. I'm sure the Watchtower brand will be around for a long time. But it's the global corporation with infrastructure in almost every country that will disappear. And here in the US they'll go from having a couple kingdom halls in every town to only having a handful of kingdom halls in the entire state.

Branches will continue to close. Printing press' will continue to be sold. Kingdom halls will start being put up for sale. Millennials will continue to bail. The older hardcore believers will continue to die off. And their number of recruits will continue to shrink.

WIth the exception of KH sales, this has already been going on for a decade now. The writing's on the wall. The WTs in decline. And I'm not sure there's anything they can do to stop it.

• StarTrekAngel
    StarTrekAngel
    Don't forget, even though God did not miraculously protected them, there are Branch Davidians still living in the old compound in Waco, who still believe David Koresh was for real.
  • steve2
    steve2

And yet, Rebel, this "mess" means for untold millions a significantly better quality of life than their grandparents ever enjoyed, with the longest period of economic betterment.

As Michael Moore observed in one of his films, media thrives on and feeds human fear.

And so does religion - speaking of which, people who are religiously inclined in the West tend nowadays to be drawn to more socially involved charismatic Christian groups, while the JWs by contrast appear out of touch with their limp literature carts and tired door-knocking and flimsy "magazines".

• Beth Sarim
    Beth Sarim
    There has been close to a 40% decline in printed material in the last decade. Hard to say what will happen in the next few years. Maybe a total decline in printed material, but with everything only on tablets or streaming videos at KHs. But only KHs or Assembly Halls at centralized locations. Mega Congregations.
  • pepperheart
    pepperheart
    If it were only just the cut backs in the printed material then i would not be so pleased but when they kick out 1000s of people from bethels around the world even thought they are due to be getting around $1 billion dollars from brooklyn then things start looking good
  • LisaRose
    LisaRose
    you read the post from the Andersons / Reveal News on Splanes X-Splanation to the Portuguese on being wary of enema's of the State of JW -

Enemas? I do not think that word means what you think it means.

• Fisherman
    Fisherman
    I think that the WT is invincible.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit