Free Speech - Jordan Peterson Debate Live 9:30 EST Saturday

by cofty 86 Replies latest social current

• never a jw
    never a jw

Languages and societies evolve. Get used to it. Conservatives will always be few decades behind.

Adding few words to the language... no big deal.

Your boss requires you to use certain words...no big deal. Comply or find another boss; use your freedom

At some point the professor says that government is legislating how to think... that's silly. Governments are just setting rules of behavior, not thought, to accommodate to people who have been rejected by our religious society for millennia. Liberalism, just like the global economy and technology, is a powerful, unstoppable force. Resistance only delays, but won't change the course.

• LoveUniHateExams
    LoveUniHateExams

I've never heard of Prof Peterson until now.

I still need to buy my headphones.

Languages and societies evolve - they can and do, either naturally or according to a group's desire.

Get used to it - do you think a society should evolve against the express wishes of the majority of its members?

Liberalism, just like the global economy and technology, is a powerful, unstoppable force. Resistance only delays, but won't change the course - sounds ominous.

I will listen to your two OPs when I can, Cofty ...

• bohm
    bohm

Jordan peterson has no legal background and a very direct, monetary interest in playing up the dangers of c16.

As far as i can tell, c16 adds gender and gender expression as a protected category (similar to race, religion, etc). That is, to judge the impact of this Bill on free speech we should ask what we can and cannot say about eg. a persons religion now, which is obviously quite a bit. Furthermore, a very similar Bill is already in place in Toronto and nobody has arrested peterson...

http://sds.utoronto.ca/blog/bill-c-16-no-its-not-about-criminalizing-pronoun-misuse/

i think it is reasonable to ask: without any slippery-slope argument, what is the danger of saying Xir?

• Laika
    Laika
    I have never referred to anybody as Ms in my life, I have also never referred to a man as Mx and never will.

I'm glad that we have heroes like Cofty around to stop us from those scary SJWs who want us to *gasp* be nice to people who aren't straight white men.

• cofty
    cofty
    what is the danger of saying Xir

0.3% of the world population is transgender. A far larger percentage of the students at elite universities are poseurs. They don't need laws to protect their affectations.

• never a jw
    never a jw

" do you think a society should evolve against the express wishes of the majority of its members?"

I never said or implied that. New generations shift the composition of majorities. I live in California, where legalization of marijuana and same sex marriage were very unpopular just a decade ago. Well, that's changed to the opposite side. Our children will reject our values, or at least refine them.

"Liberalism, just like the global economy and technology, is a powerful and unstoppable force..." "that sound ominous."

Perhaps, but the evidence from the last 60 years confirms that those three things have momentum that no single democratic government has been able to contain. That's way they go along.

• cofty
    cofty
    Languages and societies evolve. - never a jw

Yes. Nobody is objecting to the evolution of language. Legislation of language is the problem.

(if you reply see if you can resist personal insults this time)

• never a jw
    never a jw

".3 is transgender"

They just need 47.8 of support from non transgender to get a majority. Then we will have to make small additions to our lexicon. No biggy here.

If Anthony Morris wants to be called AM the third, I will call him that...I lose nothing, I gain nothing. Actually, in this case I do gain a chance to poke fun at someone.

• cofty
    cofty
    They just need 47.8 of support from non transgender to get a majority. - Never a jw

0.3% + 47.8% = 48.1%

• scotsman
    scotsman

Cofty , I've asked you this before but you've never answered: have you met anyone in real life that has asked you to use a different pronoun from the one you expect?

(intrigued you've never used Ms, have you known the first name and marital status of every woman you've ever been in contact with?)

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit