Do A Number of Jehovah's Witnesses Have A Drinking Problem???

by minimus 70 Replies latest jw friends

• Big Tex
    Big Tex

You know Minimus, for someone who gets criticised for being a shit stirrer, or asking pointless questions, you get more replies (over 60 on this thread) and views (nearly 800 now) than anyone.

What do you think it means? No agenda, just curious.

• Mulan
    Mulan
    If an elder, ministerial servant or pioneer engages in oral sex with their spouse, they could be removed from their congregational privleges.

This one always mystified me. Why on earth would they tell?

About the original question: Do A Number of Jehovah's Witnesses Have A Drinking Problem???

YES........................absolutely!

• minimus
    minimus

Maybe I am what I am accused of. Maybe I'm not......One thing I do know, Chris, is that we need to enjoy life as much as possible. We need to value the importance and silliness of it all. Hey, when Brother Farkel EVEN posts, well, you know what I mean, what can I say?....Mulan, some have bad consciences, esp. if they hear a talk about "secret sins" and how a sinner could bring down an entire congregation.

• plmkrzy
    plmkrzy
    In over 30 yrs.in the org.I have not seen or heard of one person being disfellowedshipped for "DRUNKENNESS".

I never thought about that before but trying hard to recall if I ever heard of someone being defepd for alcoholism, I cannot. That is a sobering thought.

• Dimples
    Dimples

I knew one brother who taked to me at the hall and I almost fell over from all the alcohol on his breath.I also knew several of the brothers and sisters who would meet once a week to play cards and drink, drink. drink.I know they were alcoholics.

• nobody told me
    nobody told me

I knew an elder who was a director of the feast (wedding) who had to leave because his wife was drunk. The same sister would drink in the morning and brought her own wine to a party for a young sister who was released from the hospital. Cake, ice cream and wine?

• minimus
    minimus

Everyone must've known she was drunk but I bet the husband covered for her and said she had food poisoning or something.

• bittersweet
    bittersweet

I remember when I was a young teen, my sister had a crush on a bethelite ( he's DF now ), and one night he called her on the phone, and he was so drunk you couldn't understand half of what he said. I was shocked, because after all he was at Bethel, he was supposed to be an example.

When I got married, we paid extra to have the bar closed so we wouldn't have to deal with the drinking issue. The first time I went to a worldly wedding I was surprised at how tame the people were....I was expecting to see people drinking too much, letting loose, and doing the Electric Slide, like at all the JW receptions I ever went too!

Apparantly drinking too much is a problem at the local KH in my area. My mom said there was a local needs part on it last week ( but with funny skits to push the point home ). Some things never change.

• minimus
    minimus

Did the funny skits include people falling down and slurring?

• orangefatcat
    orangefatcat

Minimus: Thanks for your comments. This subject hits hard with me and mine.

Someone said they didn't know of anyone being disfellowshipped for drunkedness. Well they would have been especially if this person was for the area I was in. It was not tolerated. I am not sure if I mentioned my one time of getting a little happy at a company picnic and for this I was publicly reproved. My father was one man and elder who was always out to get me. And he had his little spys in the hall who watched my to see if I over indulged. It urked me to no end when one day my father followed me to a resturant to see what I was doing and I was at a table by the bar with a few friends and having a beer. He went back and forth 2 times as if I didn't see him the first time. Yes he was out to catch me, just because he was an alcoholic I think he thought I was one. Well when he left the resturant so did I. I jumped in my car and followed him and then I passed him which made him mad, as I smiled a waved as I went by. I was no dummy. My dad had MS servants watching me. We were invited to a wedding and so were they and my parennts and the wedding was an elders daughter affair. I talked with many bro. and sis. elders and MS. just before I left the community center for home. I am certain if I had been drunk I would be told not to drive and my father was right there. So I had left my car at the Kingdom Hall. So this MS with his family and THEIR drunk son in law drove me to my car. I had a burnt front head lamp on my car and so I couldn't see very well .The roads are country roads and bumpy. So I put on my high beams and moved closer to the shoulder. This family of course followed me almost all the was home and asumed that I was drunk. But I had just got out of their car. This MS was thick with my dad. A few days later this MS shows up at my door and says he wishes to talk to me alone. I said to him no you may not. What ever you have to say you can say infront of my family (husband and son), He was kind of green around the gills and than he said I want to talk to you about the wedding, I believe you were drunk at that wedding. I said to him George see the door? This subject is closed. And I Opened the door and asked him to kindly leave. He did. It was then after that I was reproved. Yes I do hate the org. and the people who spy and slink and elders who will go to any means to have you disfellowshipped. It is not just in the cong. level it is at all levels of the organiztion. From the top down......

I am so happy to be out.

Love to ya all, Orangefatcat

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit