Do A Number of Jehovah's Witnesses Have A Drinking Problem???

by minimus 70 Replies latest jw friends

• JH
    JH

I was surprised to see elders and ministerial servants drink more than usual around christmas time. Often they had their own parties, that just happened to be on new years eve. What a cooincidence. And they drank a little more than usual on these evenings.

• minimus
    minimus

JH, it was "just another day" for them, that's all......And if you believe that one......

• wildfire
    wildfire

wow does this bring back memories...... my daughter and her best friend would stay at her house and her dad was always wasted......he even would drink nyquil... he had bottles of it stashed every where......but as the pendulum swings..... there were never 2 eyewitnesses to his (problem) so to this day,,,,he contributes his hush money to the building up of the flock,,, in all their dysfunctional, hypocritical ways....... and then there was the MS who would come to the book study and reek of alcohol......and of course his answers were long,,, drawn out and completely meaningless ( except to him),,,but the hilarious part is when his wife would come slithereing into the meeting late.... with a look at him that could turn him into stone....hahahaha i could really see a sitcom coming out of all of this craziness some day ,,, cant you well don't you all know that smoking and premarital sex is much more of a serious sin than drunkedness,,,,,and heaven forbid if you have a mental illness like depression... like they say your days are numbered......but the bible says drink alittle wine for your frequent cases of sickness,,,,hmmmm i thought drunkedness was the sickness,,,,,,,just my observations of AS THE WORLD TURNS IN JW LAND.......TAKE CARE ALL

• minimus
    minimus

These types of people seem to think that can drink all they want as long as they make their meetings and comment, go out in service and donate their money and assets to the organization.

• mizpah
    mizpah

minimus:

Is it because you think in minimus terms rather than maximus ones?

• TonyT
    TonyT

Of course they do! the only time their teachings make sense is when you are in an alcoholic haze.

• minimus
    minimus

MIZPAH----a Hebrew word for "watchtower".

• orangefatcat
    orangefatcat

Little do we know what lurks behind the doors of witnesses. Once they shut it (door) we have no idea what goes on. I had a father who was a alcoholic. After coming into the borg he stopped. He really stopped just before coming in. He was dying of hepititis and c chirosis. He knew he had to clean up his act. When in the org. he saw many witnesses who drank and had problems and would come down heavy on them especially if they drank. He remained sober for about 7 years until a training course for ministrial servants at Bethel. Guess what? Father started drinking again and my mother went ballistic. How could they cause my father to drink at Bethel when he is there to enhance his skills as an MS??. Well things didn't go so well with dad having to much to drink and it was noticable. My middle aged sister was going to be baptized out of town. We had to go out of town for our C.A. we weren't settled into our room five minutes when my father pulled out and opened a 26er of whiskey. Mom said where did you get it. He said the brother in the room next room. The bro. in the next room was our cong. overseer. He knew better He knew my father was not strong. Well a fight began and it was a big fight. I was livid with this bro. because this bro. had known my dad was an alcoholic and had begun drinking again, and everytime he(dad and mom) entered their( CO) home the first thing they offered my parents was booze. My mom would glare and decline and my dad would say yes from time to time.
    This always caused major fights in our home. At the assembly i was going to go next door to the overseers room and give him hell and my father grabbed me with such force and he said no your not. Such a good scene for my sister who was going to be baptized at this assembly.

Well my father started getting sick again and things were rough at home, by this time I had moved away from home and moved to Quebec to serve where the need was greater. My mother was worried about dad, and I could see why, he was still drinking no thanks to the bro. in the hall. I know my father had a mind of his own, but his mind was weak when it came to drinking. So during my visit mom and I went shopping and came back and they started fighting, about the booze. I told my parents to shut up, and I turned to my father and I told him I guess nothing in life means anything to you except alcohol. Not mom and not the other girls. I said I am ashamed of you. and I told him that if he didn't stop drinking right here and now, I was going to take the next train to Quebec and will never come home again. He just didn't know what to say. My mom couldn't believe me and the air in the house was as thick as fog over the bogs. Anyway about 15 min. later the doorbell rang and it was my fathers mom and dad and brother. They could tell that something was very wrong. And they didn.t stay long. Next day my dad said that mom and him had worked things out and he wasn't going to drink anymore. and as far as I know he never touched another drop up until his dying day.

Do I believe the WTS played a role? Its all over Bethel, my dad says it flows their.

Oh yes I do. I have seen what it has done to my sister who drinks everyday. Wine, beer and she fights about it with her husband as to who will get the last drop. I As for myself I must admit I to had a problem for a while. I would rather drink than listen to ex husband. But I only ever got drunk once and it resulted in me being reproved publicly. By the way it was the brother overseer who was slowly killing my dad. I have seen elders drink and drink to the point of intoxication and theirs wives too., There are no angels. The life heaped upon JW, is not a normal way of life, it is very stressful no one should have to live the way they expect JW to live. I have seen many young men turn into older men overnight, by that i mean in a physcial sense. I have seen them needing medication to survive the the responsibilities heaped upon them. Booze will always be a way of relief for many.

Many have nervous breakdowns or their wives do. As I said at the begining no one but noone knows what goes on behind the closed doors when they are shut.. And as for the young and those who love to party, yes they love to drink and there is much of it and yes they will never invite a non drinker to their parties or other activities.

Orangefatcat.

• moonwillow
    moonwillow

No matter where no matter what you will find people who drink to over come.

• minimus
    minimus

Orangefatcat, That was a powerful post. I know of more than a few JW's that won't answer their phone after 7p.m. because they're too lit.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit