Do A Number of Jehovah's Witnesses Have A Drinking Problem???

by minimus 70 Replies latest jw friends

• rocketman
    rocketman
    With all the crap they have to put up with, I don't think JW's drink nearly enough!

Good point!!

• rocketman
    rocketman

I have felt for a long time that drinking was the jw hidden vice - that with all the rules and regs, they felt this was one thing they could indulge in. Now, I don't mean all, or even the majority. But a good number, whicj, as Blondie mentioned, is likely why the brought it up at the Convention this summer.

• rocketman
    rocketman

As an example, the booze certainly finds it's way into the hands and mouths of underage (drink-wise) jws. They seem to be able to find willing suppliers in the 21 and over set for parties. Many adults push the limit a wedding receptions. One elder I served with maintained that there was nothing wrong with giving alcohol to your underage kids at home, even though that is against the law.

• Blueblades
    Blueblades

Also, after the memorial was over, a certain elder took the wine home,I think he was the one who purchased it anyway,then drank it home ,not at the memorial.

Also,a certain commuter Bethelite,pioneering at the time,made wine in his tub and passed it around to a select few.When he was a full time Bethelite, he made the wine at Bethel.

We shared drinks with an annointed at Bethel in his room as he told us the story of how he knew he was one of the 144,000! ( Southern Comfort was his favorite )

Blueblades

• wannaexit
    wannaexit

I don't know if they have a drinking problem. But they sure drink a lot.

That may be the reason why at the summer conventions they were told not to drink before the meetings.

• minimus
    minimus

I knew of an Italian elder that always drank wine before the meetings. When he would have a talk or a part (if he drank more than usual), he would start telling jokes, laugh continuously, and generally spice the meeting up. We always liked his parts.

• mizpah
    mizpah

Having come from a strict Baptist background, I was rather shocked to see the amount of drinking that was common among Jehovah's Witnesses. At the "get- togethers" at the friends homes, the booze was kept in the kitchen and dispensed discreetly by the hosts. But the level of conversation and noise rose at the night wore on. I wouldn't say that anyone was actually drunk. But the loose tongues and crude laughter certainly indicated a border line. And this seemed to be the trend at most gatherings. I had a discussion once with a sister about how this could be a serious "stumbling block" to some coming into the organization. She, being a drinker herself, just lightly dismissed the subject.

The tradition of the heavy drinking of the Bethelites probably stemmed from the days of Rutherford, a known alcoholic. He even violated the federal law of his time by having liquor sent to him by the Canadian brothers during the prohibition years.

• minimus
    minimus

Hmmm, Mizpah, why did I always think you were Jewish?

• JH
    JH

Maybe many drink and don't think it's a problem...

• minimus
    minimus

I like to relax and have a drink too. I don't think that this a problem. (burp) What I'm talking about is that I' ve heard many "worldly" people say, esp. at a wedding, "Wow! This group can really drink and party.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit