Troublesome Trinity Verses Part 1

by hooberus 133 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• herk
    herk

Ellderwho,

I think that now we're starting to ramble. Unless we agree on certain facts, I see no point in pursuing this topic. I've made some points and raised some questions, using bold-face type and setting them off in red, yet you keep moving on as though I never mentioned them. What gives?

You wrote:

I certainly do not want a Trinity debate for I do not understand the trinity

And yet, you keep bringing up weak arguments in support of the theory. Have you nothing to say about all those texts that powerfully prove Paul and other Bible writers did not believe in the Trinity? Do they mean nothing to you? If they did, it seems to me you would have no problem understanding Philippians 2, Micah 5, Deuteronomy 32, 1 Corinthians 10 and John 17.

What is so difficult to understand about these texts?

Philippians 2:5 states that Christ "did not regard equality with God a thing to be grasped." If someone already has something, would he be grasping for it? If Christ was equal with God, would he have any reason to grasp for that equality with God? Just focussing in on what the text is actually saying should remove any difficulty in understanding.

I already explained Micah 5:2, but you seem to prefer an understanding that contradicts everything else that proves Christ had a beginning. Would it help if I went back over these two pages and set them off for you again? Either Christ is from eternity past or he is not. We can't have it both ways. Now, if the majority of texts show that he had a beginning, what is the point of seeking a different point of view in another text, especially if that text is a bit vague? If you compare Micah 5:2 in several translations, you are bound to notice that translators are not in agreement on what it says. But one thing we should be able to agree on is that Christ had a beginning to his existence just as we did. If he didn't, then we have several texts in the Bible that should not be in there, and yet they are.

We can misunderstand 1 Corinthians 10:4 only if we fail to read the context. Deuteronomy 32 says that God is "The Rock," and 1 Corinthians 10:4 says that the Israelites drank from "a spiritual rock which followed them." Now, how is there any comparison? Did the Israelites drink from God or did they drink from literal rocks on the earth? Moses struck literal rocks, not God, when water was made available for the people. I have several Bibles with cross-references in the margin, and not one of them connects 1 Corinthians 10:4 with Deuteronomy 32. If scholars don't do it, why are you doing it, unless you are straining to prove something? The NIV Study Bible gives this helpful footnote that you can either accept or reject, but I think it is far more reasonable to accept it:

The rock, from which the water came, and the manna were symbolic of supernatural sustenance through Christ, the bread of life and the water of life (Jn 4:14; 6:30-35)

Just as Christ was not literally the manna that the Israelites ate, he was not literally the rock from which they drank water. But those literal substances were typical of how Christians would be sustained. It is not literal food and water that sustain them spiritually, but it is Christ the "true food" and the "true drink." (John 6:55)

John 17:5 says nothing about God sharing his glory with his Son. God gives glory to his creatures, but none are given the glory that he alone possesses. That should be clear from Isaiah 42:8. To have glory with God does not mean to have the same glory as God has. Persons who believe in the Trinity dogma try to see more in John 17:5 than is actually there.

Again I wish to emphasize that persons will have problems with texts like the ones you mentioned only if they are intent on seeing evidence for a Trinity where there really is no such evidence.

Herk

• herk
    herk

Ellderwho,

I could be wrong, and I hope I am, but it's starting to appear to me that you are insincere. Why would you try to pit JC and me against each other and claim that you're "confused" by our two comments? Why, in claiming to be confused, did you purposely twist my reference to what JC wrote? Ask yourself: Did Herk refer to JC's comments on Genesis or JC's comments on considering the context? I think you clearly know the answer, yet you chose to distort what I said. Why?

You wrote:

I can not explain the mystery of God. I can not grasp the idea or thought of a trinity.

Then please tell me why you insist on defending the so-called "mystery" in preference to the simple teaching that God alone is God and Jesus is his chief representative and spokesman? The Bible is clear, but the Trinity muddies the issue. So wouldn't humility and honesty compel a person to acknowledge that the Trinity leads down a dead-end street?

You're welcome to believe in the Trinity, and that does seem to be your wish. My purpose in pursuing a discussion with you has been to show you there is a better way to understand the Scriptures. I've tried to be sincere all along the way, and I was hoping you also were sincere. At this point, I can't help but conclude that you prefer the way of mystery over the way of truth.

Herk

• ellderwho
    ellderwho

Herk,

I think that now we're starting to ramble. Unless we agree on certain facts, I see no point in pursuing this topic. I've made some points and raised some questions, using bold-face type and setting them off in red, yet you keep moving on as though I never mentioned them. What gives?

I agree, with the rambling part. Yes you had made points, So have I. I answer you on Pauls statement the inablitiy to grasp something what is so hard to understand I can not grasp it.

Herk, show me Christs' beginning. Dont go to Proverbs. What does the hebrew word everlasting mean?

What about worshipping Christ you have said nothing.

Who's the alpha and omega?

have glory with God does not mean to have the same glory as God

Ok separate the glory given to the Lamb on the throne, you've said nothing about this.

yet you keep moving on as though I never mentioned them

Why are the elders in Heaven giving glory to the Lamb?

What about the refrence you give from Jc. No reply

I ask you what are we to do with the LOGOS? no reply

What gives?
    ellderwho
  • herk
    herk

Ellderwho,

My final paragraph pretty much summarizes my answer to your last post:

You're welcome to believe in the Trinity, and that does seem to be your wish. My purpose in pursuing a discussion with you has been to show you there is a better way to understand the Scriptures. I've tried to be sincere all along the way, and I was hoping you also were sincere. At this point, I can't help but conclude that you prefer the way of mystery over the way of truth.

Herk

• ellderwho
    ellderwho

Herk,

I believe you and I are far away on the subject of the deity.However, I enjoyed debating with you, Im sure will clash on other subjects as well. That, I believe is healthy.

ellderwho

• herk
    herk

Ellderwho,

I've enjoyed the debate too. I can't agree, however, that to "clash on ... subjects" is healthy. There comes a point where one side or the other needs to analyze its position. If a position doesn't line up with the general sense of the Scriptures, it should in honesty and sincerity be rejected. Otherwise, we will end up among those who are "always learning and never able to come to the knowledge of the truth." (2 Timothy 3:7)

Herk

• ellderwho
    ellderwho

Herk maybe you and I are a example of whats been going on in the christian faith for thousands of years. The original churches were debating from the onset. Why are we so different?

I believe when "one" claims to have it all figured out, kinda reminds me of the cult I was raised in. They having all the answers and not to be questioned.

So to clash on doctrine can be viewed as growth if one of us walks away with perhaps a another perspective to look at. Not whose got the better arguement.

If there was a true and undeniable teaching that was not subject to all the variables of time and translations and interpetations you and I would not be talking.

ellderwho

• ellderwho
    ellderwho

Herk,

I never addressed this from JC

, "we shouldn't take things expressed out of context of what they mean."

I mean not to pit you against JC, though its strange to use this idealogy of contextual interpetation when the example you give of JCs "in context" conflicts with your take on the verse.

My apologies,

ellderwho

• herk
    herk

Ellderwho,

The ancient debates you mentioned were among those who sought to bring paganism into Christianity. They succeeded. That took place hundreds of years after the Bible was completed. We can know the truth if we put aside those debates and get back to original Christianity. It's so simple. The Bible doesn't teach the Trinity, but hundreds of years later men began to say that it does. Today the majority believe the latter instead of the former.

I think it's stretching things to suggest that seeking the absolute truth of a matter reminds a person of a cult. There is such a thing as absolute truth. There is a God. He has communicated with men. He isn't fuzzy about what he means. It's this modern world that has gotten off base. It has no standards, no guidelines it can trust.

People who have fuzzy ideas about truth can't expect their prayers to be answered. That's not what I want for myself. I've discovered that the closer I get to knowing the truth about God the more my relationship with him is enhanced. Jesus certainly had no doubts. He knew the truth about God. Others may feel that's not important to them, but it is to me.

I don't condemn people who feel truth is unimportant. But I would condemn myself if I felt that way, since I'm convinced that knowing that truth is possible if only we are willing to seek it and accept it.

Herk

• ellderwho
    ellderwho

Herk,

I think it's stretching things to suggest that seeking the absolute truth of a matter reminds a person of a cult.

How do you get that from what I've stated.

ellderwho

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit