Are There Things You Didn't Understand About JW's Until AFTER Baptism?

by minimus 39 Replies latest jw friends

• minimus
    minimus

One of the things the Society prides itself over is that JW's are not only preachers but also teachers. JW's are told that they have the "best education in the world". JW's are taught for a number of months before they are allowed to get baptized. Well over 80 questions are asked before a person is accepted to get baptized. A prospective Witness is trained to preach by means of a school and a meeting designed to overcome objections by "worldly" people. Jw's are to continue a program that necessitates studying, studying and more studying............How could anyone ever claim, then, to not know what they were getting themselves into?

• minimus
    minimus

I was baptized at age 9. I got baptized before any "Lamp, Organized or Organization" books ever came out with a list of questions. Being raised as a Jehovah's Witness means that you WILL get baptized, sooner or later. I had good study habits but those habits were developed as I got older. All I "knew" was that this was the "truth" and I had a heartfelt desire to get baptized due to my being trained "from infancy". I never understood Bible prophecies at age 9. I didn't understand what happens if you don't obey the organization. I had no comprehension of what fornication, uncleanness or loose conduct was. I knew we couldn't take a blood transfusion or salute the flag but I never totally grasped why. There are so many things a person could not possibly grasp when they sign on for baptism. It is only afterward, that they realize what the hell they've gotten themselves into.

• Room 215
    Room 215

Minimus, no matter how much study they do in advance of their baptisms, it's not uncommon that new JWs are surprised to learn that the ``fine print" in their contracts forbids them, under pain of expulsion, to (for examples): own a handgun; practice yoga and /or the martial arts; swim in a YMCA pool; browse a church fair; sell or buy a lottery ticket or sell cigarettes; etc., etc.

• Nosferatu
    Nosferatu

I'm glad I wasn't raised in the Troof from infancy. I was exposed to holidays & worldly music before the age of 5, and I remembered it all quite well, which is one contributing reason why the Troof never did sit with me quite correctly. Also, my dad was never a JW, even though he studied with them & went to meetings when I was between the ages of 11 and 18. With all these things added together plus seeing the Troof for what it was through their publications as I got older, I knew it would be a bad idea to get baptized.

• rocketman
    rocketman

Having been on both ends of the baptismal question marathon, I don't belive that many jws really know what they are getting into. That can especially be said of teens and those even younger, and having them accept such a heavy yoke isn't right IMO.

As far as adults go (defintely in the minority as far as baptismal candidates are concerned) they usually aren't aware of many of the 'fine print' points such as those room215 listed. They aren't truly aware of the many instances in which they can run afoul of the elders and the religion.

To me, that's one of the problems of the whole jw religion and baptism thing. One might say, 'well, look at the efforts they make to educate those who are getting baptized, and look at all those questions', but that's part of the problem - their religion contains so many rules and regulations that I believe their baptism loses its real meaning. For example, why could first-century Christians get baptized so readily? True, they were perhaps acquainted with Judaism and thus with God's laws to some degree. But as an accptance of the Lord Jesus Christ and a dedication to serve God, those baptisms seemed different. Today, a baptized jw comes under the laws and by-laws of the Organization, as one of the questions at Baptism stipulates, and that's where I think they make a mistake.

• minimus
    minimus

Rocket---You are so right. Imagine all the questions that 3000 or 5000 persons would have to go thru if they wanted to be in God's "organization" during Pentecost!

• Frannie Banannie
    Frannie Banannie

Yes, I didn't understand for quite some time after baptism that the WT-BATS' agenda after "lovin'" me in the front door....was to continue "slapping" me out the back door till I left...

Frannie B

• integ
    integ

yes

• minimus
    minimus

Since JW's view baptism as they would a "contract" between you and God, everyone should clearly know what the fine print is before signing on the dotted line. When a person gets baptized, they are generally on a "spiritual high". Once the "high" wears off REALITY sets in.

• Frannie Banannie
    Frannie Banannie

Min, I'm just relieved that when I got baptised the wording of the baptismal oath was an oath of loyalty to God and not to those shtanky ol' menz....it's changed since then....so their disf-ing me to apostasy over my letter reprooving THEM was invalid...and illegal in God's eyes....not that I'd wanna go back....ever....

Frannie B

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit