ALJ denies refund to tax-exempt to Watchtower

by Rattigan350 14 Replies latest watchtower scandals

• Vidiot
    Vidiot
    Beth Sarim - "...you're totally correct. The Borg's business model totally 100% relies on tax exemption. Otherwise the whole thing totally collapses."

I don't know about 100%, but I think it's definitely up in the high 90s.

Additionally, I strongly suspect that the currently evolving social and legal landscape - particularly the Woke-slash-#MeToo aspects of it - is placing the future status of the WTS's tax-exemption at serious risk (in no small part because - from their POV - the Org simply cannot and will not reform to accommodate said changes)...

...and what's more, the WTS's lawyers have informed them of this (let's face it, they'd be pretty piss-poor lawyers if they didn't)...

...and this has, in turn, considerably influenced the Org leadership's current decision-making trends.

• Beth Sarim
    Beth Sarim

Vidiot;

I think you pretty much summed it up. Good job.

• RubaDub
    RubaDub

However, the ALJ found that Watchtower could have qualified for the exemption if, instead of accepting delivery into intermediary repositories and then fueling its equipment, it had directed its supplier to directly fuel the construction vehicles.

This makes no sense to me.

If you purchase off-road fuel, how does the State expect you to get it into the vehicles. The law as written makes no sense to me. So you can buy the fuel but can't use a nozzle to dispense it? Do you pour it into 5 gallon cans and then pour it in? I still don't get it.

How would a boat at a marina get the off-road diesel into the tank without a nozzle?

Rub a Dub

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

@ Beth Sarim...

The actions they're taking more and more are, IMO, definitely the ones that only full-on True Believers would take when feeling severely threatened for a whole shit-ton of reasons, but simply can't budge for ideological (or even practical) reasons....

...delay, obfuscate, and attempt to manipulate the courts (not to mention the membership)...

...which has the effect of simultaneously - albeit passive-aggressively - provoking said courts and legal systems even further, in the mistaken and deluded hope that if/when they're actually on the cusp of losing tax-exemption (or worse), God will reward them for their obedience and vindicate them, either by...

a) ...miraculously allowing them to keep it, since the Org's survival has become so dependent on it (in spite of all indications to the contrary, and basic common fucking sense)...

b) ...showing how much they're the "True Religion" by how much they're being "persecuted" (because having to pay back Caesar's things to Caesar is definitely "persecution" ), or...

c) ....simply going all-in, and dropping the Big A to bail out His "Exclusive Earthly Organization" (despite just how much something like that would seriously fuck with the WTS's established WT eschatological chronology... after all, isn't "Babylon the Great" supposed to be attacked first? :smirk:)...

I can totally imagine the WT leadership gambling on this if they felt desperate enough, even if they thought there was a chance it would all go to shit... simply because authoritarian regimes would rather crash-and-burn than capitulate to their enemies (regardless of whether said opponents are "Satan's World" or not).

Hell, the GB could even have a contingency to "rapture" themselves away to some third-world country if it all went circling the drain...

...they've certainly got all the money they'd need to facilitate it stashed in overseas accounts.

• jp1692
    jp1692
    DOC: WTS got beat on this one by one of the very things they love— ridiculous rules.
    Nailed it!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit