Reminder about language and content

by Simon 33 Replies latest forum announcements

• Simon
    Simon

While the vast majority of posts that the majority of posters share are perfectly fine (which we appreciate) I've noticed we have a few cases where bad language, crude innuendo and outright misogyny is creeping in.

This is not acceptable.

We're not certainly not prudish and neither are we going to enforce puritanical rules - sometimes a politically incorrect joke is funny as hell and sometimes strong language is justified. But often times content is completely out of place and cannot be justified.

So, please don't post crude content or use expletives just to be "shocking". It's childish and immature and won't be tolerated.

Thank you to all the people this has nothing at all to do with.

• nonjwspouse
    nonjwspouse

Thank you Simon for continuing on with this journey of helping others with your hard work. I appreciate it so much myself, and I am quiet sure the majority of others here do as well.

• The Rebel
    The Rebel

Slightly off topic, but I have noticed that the trend today for many of our modern stand up comedians is to use bad language and crude innuendo. This is something the great legendary comedians like Tommy Cooper, The Two Ronnies, Rowan Atkinson. Eric Morecambe, Dave Allen, ect ect never had to do.

As Jerry Seinfelt says " keeping the act sex- and swear free, denies him the easiest laughs"

The Rebel.

• Sail Away
    Sail Away

Simon, thank you sincerely for trying to maintain some semblance of decorum. As a woman with post-traumatic stress disorder, I don't always feel safe posting here. At times it does seem like a misogynistic, old boys' club runs the show.

Diane

• jacobm
    jacobm

Thanks, Simon:

Lurking/inactive JWs come here all the time. If they are scared, like I first was, and they see posts/replies that only reinforce what they have been told about "apostates", are we not actually helping the WT?

After all, they are told constantly that "apostates" are obsessed with arguing, lying, misleading, being rude, etc. If we can be nothing but the exact opposite of what the WT says we are on here, we are doing good.

We should really think about how grateful we are for the people on these forums who set a good example and, therefore, allowed us to lower our guard for a while, to let facts inside our heads.

Remember, this is all about recovery from JW.

• Skedaddle
    Skedaddle

I've taken this thread on board! Thank you for bringing this to our attention!

Nice comment JACOB!

• jacobm
    jacobm
    Thanks, skedaddle.
  • Doubtfully Yours
    Doubtfully Yours

I am guilty of this practice.

Will do better from now on.

Thanks Simon.

DY

• FayeDunaway
    FayeDunaway
    Jacob I completely agree. A long time ago I came to this site and it was my first online apostate experience. I was really off-put by the crass posts. I thought, wow, I never want to be an apostate, they really are horrible people. I just wasn't ready for the types of comments. I stayed away for a long time. Crisis of conscience was perfect, because ray Franz is so gentle and loving. Now, I can handle strong criticisms of the society just fine, and feel the same way. But still, we should remember the people who come here who are lurkers and their sensitivity level is through the roof.
  • oppostate
    oppostate

All right this is it!

NO MORE #$%&@ BAD WORDS *&^$%# ALLOWED is that clear!

Can't we all just get along?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit