Reminder about language and content

by Simon 33 Replies latest forum announcements

• stillin
    stillin

Why is my conscience bothering me?

Sorry if I stepped on anybody's sensibilities.

I guess, at least with my use of "edgy" language, I feel like Jehovah really doesn't care so you shouldn't either. But, still, I'll be more careful.

• freemindfade
    freemindfade

As the creator of speech Jehovah is appalled by profanity...

• M*A*S*H
    M*A*S*H

@Simon

Is it time I tell my version of my favourite joke then?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GPQz4FftHT4

• nonjwspouse
    nonjwspouse

When I encounter someone who swears a lot, my first impression is that this person has not been educated / well read, enough to know the correct words to use to make a strong impression. Kind of like "junk" words, that can create a strong response, but they are unable to make a clear statement of thought with more a descriptive or powerful " word bank".

Of course, this is my first impression, and those are not always correct. But it is always my first impression for a reason- many times those first impressions prove correct.

Why would someone use a simple "junk" word to try to make a point when there are so many other better, more descriptive, more powerful words in our language. The "junk" word detracts from both the person and the content of the point trying to be made. For me, I lose respect and interest pretty fast.

So, unless there is a larger audience than me or people like I do about the "junk" words, then that person using those " junk" words is basically talking to an audience of one, them self. Wasted energy.

JMHO

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit