New British terror attack just occured train station!

by Witness 007 30 Replies latest jw experiences

• ILoveTTATT2
    ILoveTTATT2
    Depending on the level of the police officers, I would think that that´s the level of weapons they have. Surely the British SWAT team has powerful guns and weapons.
  • Village Idiot
    Village Idiot

ILoveTTATT2:

"Surely the British SWAT team has powerful guns and weapons."

But they're not going to have enough SWAT officers to cover everyone.

• Witness 007
    Witness 007
    Most officers dont have guns..in the video it shows metro cops.
  • Simon
    Simon

The UK has armed police on call that are specially trained to deal with situations that may involve or require firearms. It seems to provide a better balance of protection vs risk of accidental or errant shootings.

If the overall population had free and easy access to military weapons though it probably would be a different situation.

• Witness 007
    Witness 007
    And this idiot yelling "this is for Syria" how is Syria our fault?? Its a civil tribal war. The west did not do this.
  • Mephis
    Mephis

There are 2,500 firearms officers in London. Another 4,000 in the rest of the country. Total police in the country is 150,000. Our police do however use tasers a lot instead. It's usually sufficient. Even now it raises eyebrows to see police openly armed in public away from high profile protection or at obvious targets. Terrorism isn't a new thing in Britain. An idiot with a knife attacking people isn't something which makes me think 'what we're really missing is our entire police force being militarised'.

• mana11
    mana11

After these attacks, how does one exclude an apparent moderate follower of Islam from NOT being a Potential Threat to society. USA or UK these were apparent moderate "normal" Muslims outwardly, yet following ISLAM and the Quran to Kill Infidels. This puts any follower of ISLAM as a potential threat does it not?.

• talesin
    talesin

I think the British have proven to be very alert. Consider the number of attempts that were prevented. Even with no TV and little internet news, I have seen a few stories of British CID or whatever their police force is named, catching a terrorist cell.

Like the French, these people display great courage and 'grace under pressure'. Other western countries, less experienced in dealing with terrorism, would be well-advised to follow their lead, rather than prematurely (and I say, foolishly) jumping to a position of war.

t :sunglasses:

• snugglebunny
    snugglebunny
    British regular police don't carry guns. But they can shout "stop!" very loudly and if they are ignored they shout "stop!" again - which usually does the trick.
  • Ruby456
    Ruby456

Syria and Iraq can be associated in people's minds with more austerity and suffering - so people's motives in carrying out these sorts of attacks may stem not from solidarity with Islam but from the perspective that they want to stop inflicting more suffering on poor people both over there and over here (but this does not mean to say that people do not carry out such attacks to express solidarity with Islam because obviously they do)

edit: I tend to associate Australia with a more affluent lifestyle so it may be a little difficult for you guys to understand what motivates peeps here?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit