May JW Broaadcast - so bad, "it's not even wrong"

by FFGhost 28 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• FFGhost
    FFGhost

Don't know how many of y'all still watch it.

This month's topic is "the King of the North" - Cook goes into monotonous detail over the JW interpretation about Rome, Germany, USSR, Russia, etc.

Leaving aside for other commentators the emotionally manipulative videos of JWs in Russian holding cells, the tearjerker interviews, the god-awful stiffness of Cook (I suspect he has never genuinely smiled, much less laughed, in his 60+ years), just thought I'd comment on one topic.

The centerpiece of the program is a "morning worship" monologue from Splane. Let's again just leave to the side the dude's pomposity, smugness, and inflated sense of his own genius, and think about this part of his monologue.

He was tracing the history of the "king of the north" and talked about how "Britain" (not England, not the United Kingdom, not Great Britain, but "Britain" - no idea why they have that fixation - anyway...) became the KOTN in the 19th century.

Paraphrasing his comments: "Britain would not have become KOTN if France had its way. France was much wealthier and more powerful, but at the Battle of Waterloo, Britain defeated France. France should have won, but a great rainstorm came and allowed Britain to win, thus becoming KOTN. Of course, Britain was not interested in sharing its power. So, the American colonies declared their independence and fought to gain it. Mistakes were made on both sides but the Americans prevailed."

It's just such a...mishmash....it's...it's....

There's an expression, when someone says stuff that is just so flat out bizarre and weird and convoluted, that it's "not even wrong".

If someone says, for example, "The US gained its independence from Pakistan in the 18th century", you can point out the error ("not Pakistan, but the UK"). Or if they say "Napoleon lost the battle of Waterloo in 1066" again, you can point out the error ("1815, not 1066)". You can correct it.

But if someone says "Aristotle's writings are the reason why George Washington built his mausoleum in Monticello using ancient Egyptian techniques"....you're just left with your mouth hanging open. Where do you start?

Splane's comments are just so....so....I don't know, where do you even begin to correct it?

It's so completely unhinged, it's "not even wrong".

Anyways, just thought I'd share my rambling comments. Anyone else see it?

• john.prestor
    john.prestor

Sounds confusing and bizarre, yeah.

• mikeflood
    mikeflood

It reminds me....China....is...."the King of the East" ....or better....now is part of "King of the North"....don't give them any ideas.

• hoser
    hoser

I’ll have to listen to that broadcast. Someone needs to splane to him that the United States won their independence from England 40 years BEFORE the battle of Waterloo.

• dropoffyourkeylee
    dropoffyourkeylee

I overheard parts of the broadcast as the wife was listening to it. It sounded like a third grader explaining to his mom what he heard in history class.

• FFGhost
    FFGhost

Oops, correction - "Britain" defeated France to become "King of the South".

As if any of this makes a flea-weight of difference to, well, anything.

• StephaneLaliberte
    StephaneLaliberte

When I was a kid, around 18 years old, I started realizing that the king of the north prophesy didn't flow well. Why was it one king after another within fairly little time and than, for Rome/Britain/USA, it was 2,000 years, completely ignoring that the Romans were not the "prime" rulers since the 500s?

Than, when I was in my early 20s, realised that the prophesy was in fact written after the first few kings and the remainder of the text was simply a false prophesy.

However, for JWs and other fundamentalists out there, this cannot be. It is the word of God and thus, MUST be true. So, rather than facing the obvious and logical explanation, they twist the scriptures to fit their narrative.

• road to nowhere
    road to nowhere

Only thing correct is the rain at Waterloo. Napoleon used skipping cannon balls to take out opposing forces; the mud made the balls stick where they landed.

The old Babylon book had all this and it all came true......but nothing happened. The rise england has been credited to the Spanish armada defeat, the French Indian war era, and now napoleon. No mention of the Dutch being a great sea power either.

BTW, did he have a chart?

• Overrated
    Overrated

Everytime these GB guys start to explain things my hair starts to hurt. Like when the Overlapping Generation was explained. WTF. Talk about craziness at best.

• Rocketman123
    Rocketman123

Talk about craziness at best.

Yup but craziness mixed with fear and ignorance keeps the sustainability of the organization which in reality sustains themselves.

$$$ if you catch my drift

As a result keep on propagating which works, fear and ignorance can go a long way toward controlling people.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit