My Reflections On a Year of Freedom

by Saethydd 18 Replies latest jw experiences

• Saethydd
    Saethydd

In late May 2017, I told my parents how I really felt about the religion they had raised me in, and by early June I was out of their house. I've done a lot since then. I let my hair and beard grow out a bit. I've engaged in entertainment that is considered to be "inappropriate for a Witness." (Game of Thrones, Breaking Bad, and Mr. Robot are all fantastic TV shows) I've attended fan conventions and other events I never would have as a Witness. I've celebrated my birthday and a number of other major holidays. I've started working to improve the world instead of just waiting for some god to come along and fix all of my problems for me. I graduated with a technical degree in computer science and am set to pursue a Bachelor's in Electrical Engineering this fall. I participated in an internship for Physics/Math majors at a prestigious university. I've helped another person make the decision to leave the Watchtower behind. I reconnected with some of my cousins who were considered "bad association" and am so happy to have them back in my life. I fell in love with a girl and we moved into our own place together a few weeks ago. Her family has practically adopted me and are always happy to see me at their family gatherings.

I am happy. For a year I have lived as my true self without worrying about whether this is something "a Witness is supposed to do."

Yes, I miss my family, and yes I miss my old friends, but I am still so much happier having made the decision to unapologetically be my authentic self instead of trying to mask my true identity to hang on to those relationships because I've realized something. If I had lied about who I was for this past year then I still wouldn't have those relationships, rather, some fictional version of myself, some facade I had invented would have the relationships with "my" supposed friends. My true self would be so far removed from what they saw that if they ever saw the real me I would be a stranger to them, much as I am now I suppose.

To anyone who is contemplating staying in the religion to maintain an image and keep your friends, I ask you to please consider this: If you cannot be honest with someone about who are and what you want, are they really your friend anyway?

• carla
    carla

A hearty congratulations!! Glad to hear you are doing so well and have found meaningful ways to enhance your world. All the best moving forward.

Hoping your family finds their way out someday too.

• pale.emperor
    pale.emperor

I love posts like this. Well done mate and may the following years get better and better.

• dubstepped
    dubstepped

So awesome. I love these stories. I love that you're able to just be you, to do so while still young, to be able to help someone else, to reconnect with people, find people that care about you, etc. That's the beauty of life that can't be found in the cult.

• Saethydd
    Saethydd

I also recently updated my profile picture, which was taken by my girlfriend when we graduated together earlier this year. She and those on this forum are among the major influences that helped me once I left the cult behind.

• EverApostate
    EverApostate

Congratulation on your path to freedom. Appreciate your boldness and stand for the truth.

Truth = Reality as we observe in this natural Universe and goes against all religions.

• neat blue dog
    neat blue dog

I would change that first line in your bio, "I am something of a rarity", (you might find that a little cringy in a few years πŸ˜…), but otherwise congrats on taking steps to set up a life outside of JW Land and landing successfully . . . Now take off running, don't trip and enjoy the view β˜ΊοΈπŸ‘

• Apostate Anonymous
    Apostate Anonymous

Glad to hear you made it out. Good luck on your new endeavors

• hybridous
    hybridous

If you cannot be honest with someone about who are and what you want, are they really your friend anyway?

This was the bomb, right here.

Knowing that I didn't have real friends inside there is what helped make it manageable to leave. It kind of...lowered the cost.

• shepherdless
    shepherdless

Brilliant!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit