Why do most Christians churches have masonic and/or pagan symbols?

by kabwell 29 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• the girl next door
    the girl next door

"But I do see the jws as well as other cults closer to the teachings in the NT then most of the protestant and catholic sects"

Like what exactly?

607? Deity of Jesus? Jesus/ Michael? Closed heaven(144,000)? Jesus Mediatorship? Works based salvation? Bible translation?

You obviously are not a serious student of the Bible. Try reading them instead of collecting them.

• Bugbear
    Bugbear

Hello Kabwell and welcome to this forum.

If I remember correctly, the first christians in Rome used the drawings of a fishlike symbol. This symbol has been uset in the ancient rom catacombs.

Historicians belived that It was a secret sign, to gather all those who secretly belived in Jesus. Remember the Bible story of the "fisherman"..!

Bugbear

• jhine
    jhine

Bugbear , I believe that the fish symbol was used because the letters of the Greek , or maybe Hebrew, word for fish also spelled out the words Jesus Christ Son of God .

Kabwell Christians do not worship Mary , though Catholics do pray to her .

I agree with the girl next door , the WT gets sooo much wrong , and even changes the Bible to make it fit their theology .

As already said Christians do not worship the Cross and see it as a symbol of life not death .

Jan

• Saintbertholdt
    Saintbertholdt

Hi Bugbear,

If I remember correctly, the first christians in Rome used the drawings of a fishlike symbol. This symbol has been uset in the ancient rom catacombs.
    Historicians belived that It was a secret sign, to gather all those who secretly belived in Jesus. Remember the Bible story of the "fisherman"..!

Yeah its called the ICHTHYS

A Christian would draw one half of the fish symbol in the dirt and the onlooker would complete the symbol to indicate that they were both Christians.

"Ίησοῦς Χριστός, Θεοῦ Υἱός, Σωτήρ", (Iēsous Christos, Theou Yios, Sōtēr), which translates into English as "Jesus Christ, Son of God, Saviour"

However using the OP's logic one could argue that the fish was used for centuries before that in pagan worship, so one would have to conclude that it was also pagan. Yes pagan symbolism can be kicked out behind every rock but its sort of ridiculous because symbols mean whatever meaning we ascribe to them.

Also paganism existed way before Christianity and so all symbols used since then can be construed as pagan.

• Bugbear
    Bugbear

St Berhold...

Tnks for clarifying...

Bugbear

• jhine
    jhine

Yes Saintbertholdt , that is what I meant !

Jan

• Saintbertholdt
    Saintbertholdt

Yeah I wrote a post on another ex-JW forum called: The fish god and the Watchtower phallus to illustrate the point that you can go and find pagan symbolism wherever you want to.

For example: The Pope's mitre looks like a fish, so the 19th century theologian Alexander Hislop concluded it was of pagan origin. So therefore in Watchtower theology the Ichthys had to go as well, all because it was a fish.

Well my argument is that the Watchtower symbol also has pagan origins. You could argue that according to the OT Nimrod started the first cities which would have reasonably had lookout posts or Watch towers. And Nimrod was supposedly in opposition to God and founded Babylon (according to the witnesses), so whatever he did was pretty evil. The Watchtower symbol is also pretty phallic so therefore you could proceed to throw the baby out with the bathwater and out of Babylon's watchtower.

• JustVisting
    JustVisting

Welcome Kabwell,

" I have bibles worth thousands of dollars each." BTW, Mark Sanderson would like to talk to you about your collection.

I agree that you can find a "pagan" origin to many symbols.

• Heaven
    Heaven
    Just my 2 cents worth but if you're about to start a new religion/faith/belief system and you want to convince the masses to join, wouldn't you adopt a lot of their traditions as part of your agenda to convince them?
  • Beth Sarim
    Beth Sarim
    I think that most churches and organizations have symbols and such just to promote their existence. Just as the Borg now promotes jw.org everywhere now including some fonts of KH's and even things now hanging from JW's rear view mirrors in their cars.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit