Child sexual abuse suspect arrested in T.O.

by Tahoe 38 Replies latest jw friends

• Vidiot
    Vidiot
    cofty - "In the case of child sex abuse, an unreasonable threshold of evidence is demanded."

Agreed.

And ten bucks says it happens that way due to a subconscious desire to avoid dealing with the problem in a way that would end up far more uncomfortable to the Org than the alternative.

• john.prestor
    john.prestor

Spot on Vidiot. There's power in that kind of directness.

• AudeSapere
    AudeSapere

I missed this post and just learned of the arrest yesterday.

This KH is VERY close to me. At one point, when I was very depressed and struggling to stay in the org, this is one of the Halls I considered transferring to.

Horrific shame that these situations continue to occur.

So glad the 16 year old came forward.

Might consider going to the courthouse on Thursday.

• DNCall
    DNCall

I am getting in touch with an exJW whose JW sister spent some weeks living with the Abbot family while she rebelling from from her JW parents. This girl is now about 34, married and still a Witness. Abbot may have left her alone but in case he molested her, she needs to know about the authorities' invitation to come forward.

• AudeSapere
    AudeSapere

BTTT

Anyone have an update on this case/situation?

• smiddy3
    smiddy3

The JWs actively participate in Prison Visitation programs. From what I remember from reading another thread about prison visits, the consensus is that it is primarily pedophiles who are attracted to the JW Bibble studies inside prison. And, I have read about some of those pedophiles being "sponsored" of sorts by congregations under their release conditions.

???

This may very well be true in other parts of the world but here in Australia in my experience nothing could be further from the truth .

I have had occassion to visit an incarcerated friend for an unrelated offence to the subject in hand and have met a couple of Elders who engaged in prison visitations in two states, Vict,and Qld.

Neither of them identified themselves as Jw`s to the prison officials doing prison visitations.

And they only went in to see brothers or sisters in prison during normal visiting hours, so they could never see anybody else in those visits.

On the other hand members of the Catholic and Protestant religions identified themselves with prison officials and they could come and go as the need arose anytime of the day.

And visit as many prisoners as they liked that would see them .

Not so the JW`s.

That was a big eye opener for me back then and I`m talking about 30-40 years ago.

• MandK
    MandK

Hello~ does anyone know if he was convicted?

• Anony Mous
    Anony Mous

California, so case was dismissed.

Apparently there was insufficient evidence, having only 1 witness appear.

• Diogenesister
    Diogenesister
    This dude looks familiar to me as well. Not sure where I've seen him. Maybe he's visited a congregation as an outside speaker where I attended...maybe he's been on a circuit or district part. His name also rings a bell!

......didn't know Phil Collins was a JW. Sorry to see he's gone to the bad....

Smiddy On the other hand members of the Catholic and Protestant religions identified themselves without a doubt that prison officials and they could come and go as the need arose anytime of the day.
    And visit as many prisoners as they liked that would see them .
    Not so the JW`s.
    That was a big eye opener for me back then and I`m talking about 30-40 years ago.

Smiddy3 Do you think that was because Watchtower could afford to be fussy back then ie there were many people coming in to the religion? It was probably their peak in terms of converts.

Perhaps the prison ministry picked up later on, when Watchtower was searching for ways to boost numbers?? Any elders etc have any inside knowledge on that?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit