How many do you figure are converted through the door to door ministry?

by HereIgo 29 Replies latest jw experiences

• freddo
    freddo

In the fifties through eighties they sometimes came in through door to door, Less in the 90's especially after the "generation" change. Virtually zero now with internet and overlapping generations.

In my hall the last of "stable" (if there is such a thing in JW land) ones came in in the 1980's.

• Crazyguy
    Crazyguy

A friend went to one congregation for 25 years , in that whole time not one person was converted. The entire congregations effort for 25 years a complete waste of time and money.

• Confusedalot
    Confusedalot

I think a semi-trained monkey would have had more bible studies from door to door than I did, and looking back I am relieved I was that bad.

• Ding
    Ding

I wonder how many JWs don't care if they lead anyone into the organization because they are just trying to avoid bloodguilt when every non-Witness gets wiped out at Armageddon.

I also wonder how many JWs don't believe the WT teachings at all but just go through the motions in order to keep from being rejected by everyone they care about.

• cognisonance
    cognisonance
    I wonder how many JWs don't care if they lead anyone into the organization because they are just trying to avoid bloodguilt when every non-Witness gets wiped out at Armageddon.

I recall, during the time I was waking up, being out in service with a special pioneer (he was laid off from bethel service). One Saturday a neighborhood was full of people mowing their yards and doing other things on a nice morning. Many cars were also in the drive way. Barely anyone answered the door and people in their yards turned us down before we could say much. He remarked, "None of these people are interested in hearing the truth. Why can't they see we are trying to save their lives. At least I'm doing my part. I'm sure they'll be sorry when Armageddon comes!"

I respond, "Well, think about what it's like being in their shoes. They see us coming to their door and choose not to answer likely because they see us as a nuisance like a competing energy company coming to your door trying to sell you a different electric or gas service. Or they view us like Mormons. It's no surprise they'd rather just not answer the door. Seems a bit harsh that they could die because of turning us down. How could they know a priori that we have 'the truth'?"

• careful
    careful

I had about 10 converted from d-to-d work in about 12 years in, sometimes while pioneering. I was in more than one cong. Lower-class neighborhoods were more productive, middle- and higher-class ones were the opposite.

freddo, I appreciate the time observation.

• sir82
    sir82

How could they know a priori that we have 'the truth'?"

And then you had to spend the next 30 minutes vainly trying to explain the concept of "a priori" to the Bethel-educated nitwit with you.

• TightPants
    TightPants

I became an apostate through the door to door ministry!!!

I met once a hardcore atheist in the field service who took all my flawed Watchtower reasonsing so beautifully appart - with hard scientific facts - that I was left speechless - a born in JW of 36 years.

I was shocked back then but this key event started my awakening process by doing my own independent research...a year later I was out.

I wouldnt be surprised if the GB will replace the door2door ministry with something else soon as talking to normal people becomes too "dangerous" for the indoctrination of the cult victims.

• Vidiot
    Vidiot
    TightPants - "I wouldnt be surprised if the GB will replace the door2door ministry with something else soon as talking to normal people becomes too 'dangerous' for the indoctrination of the cult victims."

(...or to mitigate the increasing accusations of "JWs are sending pedophiles to your door to recruit your kids"...)

What you suggested is pretty much already starting.

What else do you think trolly work or tables in the park are for?

• Vidiot
    Vidiot
    Herelgo - "How many do you figure are converted through the door to door ministry?"

I'm guessing...

...none.

Ding - "I wonder how many JWs don't care if they lead anyone into the organization because they are just trying to avoid bloodguilt when every non-Witness gets wiped out at Armageddon."

I'm guessing...

...most.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit