How many do you figure are converted through the door to door ministry?

by HereIgo 29 Replies latest jw experiences

• jookbeard
    jookbeard

a bit fat zero for me, thank god what a complete and utter waste of everyone's time, pointless

• pale.emperor
    pale.emperor

My record:

Years baptized: 12 (i was born in though)

Average hours a month door knocking: 4 (yeah i hated it)

Estimated number of doors i must have knocked on: 10,000

Number of return visits: 0

Number of interested ones attending the KH because of my visit: 0

Number converted: 0

Massive waste of time. And that's coming from a ministry-lazy JW.

• Hecce
    Hecce

The door to door service was originally a way to sell books and magazines, since they don't do that anymore is a complete waste of time. I have seen a congregation with 10 regular pioneers and over a period of many years all the new publishers are congregation members children or relatives and not even a single one has come from door to door preaching.

• sir82
    sir82

the appeal is more about associating with a first world country like the USA and learning their ways then spiritual......... or at least that's part of the answer.

Or free English language lessons.

There are thousands of American & Canadian JWs who want to earn "brownie points" and so pick up and go to South America, Central America, & the Caribbean.

But most are too lazy to learn Spanish, or one of the native languages, where there is a real "need".

So there are dozens of English language congregations there, with maybe 50-80% of the congregation made up of ex-pats who want to "do something important".

Well over 90% of the "interest" found is basically locals who have a little knowledge of English, and see the "Bible study" as a free way to improve their English.

It's all a giant farce. But then again, that description fits most JW activity, so what's one more flavor of farce?

• jookbeard
    jookbeard

I think the amount of books I placed in all the years I was an active jw was less than half a dozen

• Amelia Ashton
    Amelia Ashton

The ONLY people I know that became witnesses from the doors were lonely, dysfunctional, socially challenged members of the community who were swept up with the joy of being shown some attention by those at their door!

Saddos like me :)

• Londo111
    Londo111

In the 70's and 80's, I remember people coming in via door-to-door.In my life, I had two Bible studies with people I met door-to-door, but they didn't come in. Over the years, I often thought it was my fault for not having studies and for them not coming into "the truth'. But it was a common struggle for all JWs.

Today, in this Internet age, I believe it is very, very rare.

But it does happen sometimes. A tragedy, moving to a new area, a life change leaves people open. Then some friendly people come by and gives them attention. Perhaps they are predisposed to learning something about the Bible and the JW message seems to make sense. They fail to google.

• LV101
    LV101

Great topic - some very informative posts. Interesting about the fat/hungry countries.

People in 1989 (almost 30 yrs. ago!) were asking me strange questions - not happy I'd be spared from God's wrath, etc., but letting me know the only baptized ones were kids but not as many as the Warwick criminals push thru today. Two of them were ex-elders and their wives were not too happy being re-zoned to new hall, etc. I sensed a lot of anger - no/zero happiness at all! There were always visitors present at Sunday meetings but it's a tourist city. Elders on platform would say they'd never been in a hall quite like it - so many people moving in and moving out not long thereafter. The old die-hard, power-controlling, snitty, clique, contributed to this. Old halls were referred to as so and so's (PO names) hall - people would let it rip when telling me all about the mess of the hall sooner or later. I wanted to run but was so brainwashed from the feel-good mags and sparing my soul I hung on -- until I couldn't any more.

Growth here is not actual growth but probably move-ins looking for a social circle and friends.

• redvip2000
    redvip2000
    Today, in this Internet age, I believe it is very, very rare.

Indeed, and it's quite interesting to see how the Org has no interest in gathering some intelligence from their statistics. In other words, to match some numbers against the channels that bring people in.

Everybody else is doing it, even tiny businesses. I called a contractor yesterday about some home improvement work, and one of their first questions was "How did you hear about us?". They see value in understanding which channel drove you to them, to see what is most effective.

The ORG on the other hand, is not interested, or at least not interested in sharing. If they did, they would quickly find out that preaching door to door, or with carts is a colossal waste of time.

They might as well just abandon that work and tell everybody to have more kids.

• ShirleyW
    ShirleyW

Well that was basically the only way folks came in back in the day, now I'd say it's probably at the 2 per cent mark.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit