Ranting

by FedUpJW 26 Replies latest jw experiences

• Cold Steel
    Cold Steel

As an outsider to the religion, I believe the one thing missing to the JWs that makes them so despised by its members and former members is kindness. Charity. It gets lost in the laws, rules and discipline of the system.

Though I speak with the tongues of men and of angels, and have not charity, I am become as sounding brass, or a tinkling cymbal. And though I have the gift of prophecy, and understand all mysteries, and all knowledge; and though I have all faith, so that I could remove mountains, and have not charity, I am nothing. And though I bestow all my goods to feed the poor, and though I give my body to be burned, and have not charity, it profiteth me nothing. Charity suffereth long, and is kind; charity envieth not; charity vaunteth not itself, is not puffed up, doth not behave itself unseemly, seeketh not her own, is not easily provoked, thinketh no evil; rejoiceth not in iniquity, but rejoiceth in the truth. (1 Corinthians 13)

It's not enough to just donate to the poor. Charity involves a giving of the heart and soul as well as one's sustenance. How can one rejoice in the truth while thinking evil of one's brethren, and how can one do that if he or she is engaged in spiritual warfare such as shunning, which is designed to increase despair and break up family and friends?

As the apostle noted, charity "suffereth long and is kind." It envieth not, meaning it doesn't seek to be an elder or result in a higher pecking order. It's not "puffed up" in arrogance or pride. Or smuggness. And it rejoiceth not in iniquity (and what's shunning if not rejoicing in someone else's iniquity?).

One may read the entire New Testament and not find a single instance of Jesus treating one with such reproach. Or his followers. I recently read of one GB member who grilled his fellow Bethelites on the creation days and various laws given in the days of Moses. To him those things were what was important. Discipline. Regulations. But when it comes to simple acts of kindness, compassion -- something that can't, and shouldn't, be placed on a weekly record, there's apparently no point in it.

• Wasanelder Once
    Wasanelder Once

It is not love that unites them all, its the need to trample on anyone defective in the race for life they claim to be running.

• 08out
    08out

Such a sad story,sorry to read about your mom's passing.Being brought up a witness I really thought we had each other's best interests at heart,we were real friends,I know the truth about that now ,wish it didn't take me so long .If an elder practically wished my mother dead ,like yours , now I would kick his ass in front of the whole congregation

• JeffT
    JeffT

A sad story. After my Dad died Mom slipped into dementia (neither were every JW's).

It is really hard to watch smart loving people slip away like that. I am very fortunate that I was able to be there for both of them.

Words fail me when it comes to the attitude of witnesses toward things like this. The lack of compassion speaks volumes about what their religion does to people.

Any chance you can talk him into giving the 30% to a real charity and not the WTBS?

• LongHairGal
    LongHairGal

FED UP JW:

I'm so sorry about your mom! It also sickens me to see how the JW religion takes advantage of people's generosity after guilt tripping them.

That is ALL anybody is good for to the JW religion!!... I wish more Lurkers would realize this! Of course, all religions are pretty much like this, which is why I have NO use for any of them. It's just that the JWs like to brag they are so much better. Not!

• longgone
    longgone

This is very sad, I'm sorry this is happening, and also for the loss of your Mom. I'm sure it's even more difficult since you're far away. It is typical of many JW to drop even their good friends once they aren't able to be in f.s. and meetings. My thoughts are with you and your father. 💙💚💙

• notalone
    notalone

Dear Fedup, I want to express my deepest sympathy to you and your father. There were many sincere ones that truly from their heart have spent a life trying to be disciples of Christ, and I agree with your mother. This is not the organization I knew years ago. I remember there being schedules to aid elderly ones. This is not he case today. In our congregation there is a couple, one of the first in our area that were a backbone of the congregation and extremely humble, the wife now has Alzheimer's and the husband is her full time caregiver. They are in their late 80's early 90's. The elder's have not only not helped but were also pressuring him to put her in a home. He almost gave in, but just could not do it. So he stays at home caring for his wife in love, reading the old publications and wondering where have all the 'friends' gone. Another older one in our cong could not make it to the evening meetings so she listened in on the tie -in. She was told this was not good enough and she needed to ride with someone. This is still hard for her as she is also nearing 90. When she finally accepted a ride she was told how much it was going to cost for each ride. A third in our cong who is in a nursing home is being ostracized due to a friendship he has formed with a preacher. All we can do is try and be there for these older ones and let them know they have worth and are loved by someone- someone who does not go to the meetings, someone who does not make unreasonable and uncaring demands on them. Console them with scriptures and let them know- by their fruits you will recognize them.

• FedUpJW
    FedUpJW

Any chance you can talk him into giving the 30% to a real charity and not the WTBS?

I may have been able to do so. I suggested that all the stocks, bonds, savings accounts and checking accounts be set up with me as the POD named beneficiary. I mentioned that would avoid a costly drawn out probate. He inherited everything from my mother, which is good. And as POD I will automatically get everything when the inevitable happens. Yes, we did consult with a lawyer to do this. The lawyer also said this will supersede named beneficiaries in the will for at least the cash estate. Property will still need to be divided as per the will. At least the GB (Greedy Bastards) won't get the lions share...THIS time!

• DesirousOfChange
    DesirousOfChange
    I suggested that all the stocks, bonds, savings accounts and checking accounts be set up with me as the POD named beneficiary.

Good estate planning! I think real estate can be set up with a POD also.

Even my still-in devoted elderly mother has concluded that "those guys in New York" have enough money. This happened since they announced on video that they wanted Sophia's ice cream money. (Moral of the story: Never piss off an old lady who likes kids and likes her ice cream!)

• JeffT
    JeffT

Check with your lawyer. If your Dad is of sound mind, and you don't exert any undo pressure he should be able to give everything to you, unless you have siblings. A new will would render any previous will moot. I hate the idea that the Witnesses can treat somebody like garbage and then expect to collect their estate.

What state are you in. My family's estate planner may know somebody that could help. He knows people all over the place. PM me if you want help.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit