Peak Cancel Culture

by Simon 33 Replies latest social current

• Simon
    Simon

We seemed to have reached peak cancel-culture. Now, we get to try to cancel the citizens of an entire country for something their government chose to do.

Really, we can't allow Russian individuals to compete in sports? To live a life?

I get not allowing the Russian country to host events, but even then, did something about Putin suddenly change overnight? Everyone has been fine having sporting events there for years despite all the previous things he did. If you really had any principles you would object to those things. It will be exactly the same when China does something like invade Taiwan. Everyone who didn't give a shit about what went on there for decades will overnight start demanding everyone put banners on websites and flags on social media avatars, as though they have "done" something.

You virtue signalled. And you voted for the people who made this happen.

The time to protest and show your support has been for decades prior, but that is too much work isn't it?

• pistolpete
    pistolpete

You virtue signalled. And you voted for the people who made this happen.

This pisses me off so much.

I can't number the times that I've talked to stupid people who argued that Biden was the best president to vote for.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tOVG1U-iXJw&t

• Vidqun
    Vidqun

Even worse when you insist on your narrative and cancel your opponent's version. Westerners are so full of themselves. Their opinion is the only one that matters. Everybody else is wrong. Certainly, a dangerous state of affairs. We have an advert dealing with short term insurance, a robot asking: "What can go wrong?" Reminds me of the Witnesses. Our version is the correct version, even if we are wrong.

• MeanMrMustard
    MeanMrMustard

Yeah, well, the president of Ukraine is ripped, and has great abs. Has Russia ever attacked a country with a ripped leader before? I didn't think so.

Ergo, Russians are evil.

• redvip2000
    redvip2000
    Really, we can't allow Russian individuals to compete in sports? To live a life?

Certainly not in favor of blaming Russians, we should leave them alone. They probably hate Putin just as much.

But I do favor banning them from sports. Yes of course if we were to ban any country that has transgressed on something, there would be no sports. But invading a country unprovoked in this manner is crossing a line. Same if China invades Taiwan.

Russians cares about sports and this will increase the pressure on Putin.

• Listener
    Listener

Already paid for Russian Vodka is being pulled off the shelves by liquor retailers here in Australia.

• Biahi
    Biahi

Yes, Russian citizens can put pressure on Putin to end this madness.

• road to nowhere
    road to nowhere

A russian billionaire has put a bounty on Putin.

Then who takes over?

• joey jojo
    joey jojo

Redvip:

"But invading a country unprovoked in this manner is crossing a line. Same if China invades Taiwan."

Same as US and allies invading Iraq, looking for imaginary weapons of mass destruction?

• Simon
    Simon
    But I do favor banning them from sports.

Why? And what's the logic?

Who gets to compete and why? What is the boundary and severity of crime exactly? Are we doing regions, countries or continents? Why? Who not a city?

Who get's to decide?

Why do we punish random people for what others are doing?

It's just virtue-signally bullshittery, a way to do something without really doing anything.

"We must do something ... here, let's punch someone unrelated in the face"

Thank god we solved things.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit