What Do You Think Would Make A Witness Decide It Was Now Time To Leave The “Truth”?

by minimus 34 Replies latest jw friends

• LongHairGal
    LongHairGal

MINIMUS:

There was one thing that was serious enough to make some (but not all) leave the JW religion:..if a situation embroiled a whole family and the father was disrespected by the body of elders - that usually did it.

But, the whole family had to be in agreement and the family in general had to have suffered snubs and disrespect. Usually it’s a combination of small things along with that last straw..Some people change congregations but sometimes they are just done with it all.

• ToesUp
    ToesUp

When THEY get screwed by Watchtower! It usually takes that for them to start doubting! Although, we have seen some get screwed and they stay in. Go figure!!

• minimus
    minimus

Dagney and lhg. Agree

• Ding
    Ding

I believe some JWs will never leave no matter what evidence is presented.

Some will leave but for varying reasons.

What convinces one JW has no impact at all on another.

That's why those of us who have contact with JWs need to listen to them rather than trying to come up with a single approach tied to whatever it was that led us to see TTATT.

• zeb
    zeb

well, they would have to admit to themselves that they have been wrong.

If there is a gram of stubbornness in a person this is the hardest thing ever to do.

If they are self righteous then it is impossible.

If their life has been circled by meetings, getting ready for, attending, the convo after the very ritual of meetings and they have no other event in their lives like a creative hobby, music playing or listening, some sport, perhaps some further education courses and so on then they haven't a snow ball in hells chance of leaving.

Add to this as they have gotten older they will probably seen loved ones pass-away so the chance of ever seeing them again is welded into the wt influence and that alone.

Utterly tragic ..........

• Lost in the fog
    Lost in the fog

I feel sad for the friends who have wasted their lives. They say things like "I always wanted to play the guitar/have a garden/learn to crochet/etc but I will have plenty of time to do it in the New World."

What is stopping them from doing it now?

It is so so sad. Yet I too was once of that frame of mind.

• HappyBlessedFree
    HappyBlessedFree

“Lost in the fog” I just saw an old witness friend of mine (male) who never had kids and he posted a picture of an adorable little blonde girl and said this is what my daughter would have looked like if I’d had kids. And I know he wanted to be a Dad. It’s so sad, breaks my heart.

• HappyBlessedFree
    HappyBlessedFree

I wish it was that simple that there would be one thing that you could say to help witnesses realize TTATT. For me it was getting the information while not knowing I was learning what a cult was.

When information comes right at them the walls go up. But if they have been struggling in the truth then information might be the straw to break the camels back.

• smiddy3
    smiddy3

I know a few über PIMI's and they're looking at something happening within the next 5 years max, after that I think they'll be out.

Think again my friend , when i converted in 1960 the common thought going around then in my congregation was that " this system of things can`t last any more than five years "

And this quote went on for about ten years without anybody giving a second thought to it.

And here we are 59 years later and you say they are still saying this ,..... the mind boggles.

On a side note ,arent there a lot more newbies that have joined this site in the past few months ? And many of them are old timers , elders / MS and the like ?

And if this is a trend that is happening on other ex JW sites ,then the writing is surely on the wall for the JW religion.

I wonder if their is away of finding that out ?

And a wonderful warm welcome to all of the newbies that have come here .

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

Zeb said..

"Well, they would have to admit to themselves that they have been wrong.If there is a gram of stubbornness in a person this is the hardest thing ever to do."

We have had this question before, many times. The person has to be ready, it often takes a personal shock to make them think. That may be different for everyone.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit