Received a letter from a JW today.

by smiddy3 13 Replies latest jw friends

• smiddy3
    smiddy3

It started off as "Dear friend ,as one of your neighbours" , however the postmark on the letter was from 2 townships away ? a good twenty minute car drive away .A minor point I know. It goes on about how she is concerned about the effects that current events are having on the welfare of the community and the Corona-virus has prevented her from discussing the issues personally with me.

She then goes on to state and quote Jeremiah 29:11 and then goes on to say "For more information about this promise and other questions like :

Is god to blame for suffering ?

What is the purpose of life ?

What is the key to finding real happiness?

Please visit the the free website

JW.Org"

Thensigns off with regards and a first name.

Of course the scripture is taken out of context and she did give the local congregations e-mail address .And there was also a tract with the letter.

I`m thinking of replying but not too sure about what to put in it without giving away I`m an ex JW.,any suggestions would be appreciated.

smiddy3

• menrov
    menrov

Hi, if you are interested at all to reply, be aware you will be replying not to her but to the congregation. Therefore, if your reply will contain a disagreement, I am sure she will never receive the email. You can ask the congregation for her address or email, stating you prefer to know the individual who wrote to you and not just the impersonal congregation.

Jer. 29:11 is about the 70 year of Babylonian rule and when it's over. So, indeed, nothing to do with our times. You might invite her to find better scriptures to encourage you :-), not scriptures that are part of events that took place more than 2500 years ago.

• Anna Marina
    Anna Marina

If you don't want to give away you are an ex JW it's difficult, because they'll know.

I'd go in with

*** w64 10/15 p. 637 A Haughty Spirit Is Before Stumbling ***
    ” (Dan. 1:1) This “third year” of vassalage to Babylon would be the eleventh year of Jehoiakim’s entire reign

To correspondent - Where in Dan 1:1 does it say vassalage? Do you think it is right to change the number 3 to 11?

Stop pretending 2 Kings 24:1 is Dan 1:1.

You could sign off your letter

By the way your 1914 doctrine rests on this year. You've been conned. If you wish for futher maths lessons please watch this helpful video on how to count.

With encouragement

Smiddy3

• Italiancalipso
    Italiancalipso

I think you can write a letter to this lady and put inside to another letter to the congregation where you ask to deliver your mail to her. I hope they are not dishonest to this level. I think like this you should be able to reach her.

Than as content maybe you can ask for her answer to the ARC and IICSA, as in the JW.Org you didn't find any answer in the legal area. In a plain and gentle way as you are interested truly.

Than in case you want to avoid your real name and want to continue the discussion, you can build anonymous email for it to mention inside.

Good luck and keep us posted if you will reply

IC

• tiki
    tiki

Sounds like a colossal waste of time....

• jwfacts
    jwfacts
    Since her concern regards the welfare of the community you could send her links to local charities she can donate to that help those in need within the community due to loss of jobs and income.
  • Giordano
    Giordano

jwfacts makes an excellent point. She lives in a community and she needs to respect the needs of her local community and lend a helping hand if she can.

• Steel
    Steel

I used to get hand written letters in my mail box. They talked god and Jesus and such. No mention of the WTS or jehovah witnesses. I use to think it was quite sincere that someone would take the time to do that.

Years later, married to a JW and I see my wife doing the same thing. I now realize it is about wasting time. You count the time writing the letters instead of using a photocopier . What an absolute joke.

• DesirousOfChange
    DesirousOfChange

Years later, married to a JW and I see my wife doing the same thing. I now realize it is about wasting time. You count the time writing the letters instead of using a photocopier

She's obviously been taught the wrong way to do this. You take ONE HOUR writing a letter. Copy it 50 or 60 times. Mail them all out and you have your pioneer hours this month.

• smiddy3
    smiddy3

I didn`t realise how much time has gone by since posting this OP

And after much consideration I do believe it would be a waste of time expecting the Elders to pass on a letter meant for her.

I`m positive they would open the letter themselves and not pass it on ,rationalising they would be protecting her interests.

Thanks for your comments and feedback.

jwfacts does make a valid point ,however I cant send that to her as she didn`t give me an option to connect with her personally.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit