New Spiritually Weak Label: Not Using Tablet/iPhone

by Doubtfully Yours 63 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• sparky1
    sparky1

"Al Gore did NOT invent the INTERNET...............We did!" - Governing Body(tm)

• Divergent
    Divergent

Doubtfully Yours:

And, yes... I am a technophobe, and find 'social media' just abhorrent; won't catch me dead on Twitter/Facebook/Youtube/Instagram/whatever else out there.

Well, you ARE here, and this forum is a form of social media =)

• Divergent
    Divergent

When I was fading, I LOVED being able to use my electronic devices at the meetings. I often surfed "apostate" sites such as this one! Also, I didn't like the way people JUDGE you when you use a paper publication WITHOUT underlining / writing in it. I switched to electronic devices & did away with all this nonsense!

• TheListener
    TheListener
    The people at the KH can see your underlining on the tablet other device and still judge. It's not as easy but whether they walk past your seat, sit near you or figure it out some other way they still judge.
  • konceptual99
    konceptual99
    I love my iPad at the meeting as well. I turn the brightness right down and turn to the latest New Scientist or whatever I am reading on Kindle
  • ToesUp
    ToesUp
    My spouse used to bring his IPad to the meetings (before it was cool...new light) and get dirty looks from others. Now it's all the rage! WT doesn't want to print anymore (it costs them $$$$). Hopefully, the IPad push from WT will and has had the users logging on to all the glowing positive things about WT, via the internet . If you want to see all the Positive things about WT, just give them a quick Google search. It's not good/positive! Good for us, not so much for WT. Keep up the good work WT, you're digging your own grave.
  • Doubtfully Yours
    Doubtfully Yours

Damn it, I give up; my iPad is coming with me starting next week.

DY

• Doubting Bro
    Doubting Bro
    LOL - I also have recently given up and started using the electronic stuff. I believe I was one of the few left in the hall that didn't. I still have asked for the paper but it's hit & miss for some reason. Any cent I can make them spend makes me feel good! I know, very petty but its the small victories that keep me going.
  • ttdtt
    ttdtt

What's funny is that not that long ago - elders were told by a letter from the WT to NOT use iPads on stage. "It would promote class divisions in the congregation with those who didnt have them."

Now you can't be a good christian without one:) - SEE LETTER BELOW

Christian Congregation

of Jehovah’s Witnesses

2821 Route 22, Patterson, NY 12563-2237 Phone: (845) 306-1100

November 8, 2011

TO ALL BODIES OF ELDERS IN THE UNITED STATES BRANCH TERRITORY

Re: Use of electronic tablets

Dear Brothers:

We have received inquiries on the use of an electronic tablet, such as an iPad, when conducting the WatchtowerStudy or for viewing notes when giving a public talk. Herein we wish to provide some guidelines concerning this matter.

There is no objection to the use of an electronic tablet by an attendee in the audience as a means of following along with the material being presented. However, at this time, an electronic tablet or other similar device should not be used on the platform, such as for reading the paragraphs at the Watchtower Study, conducting a meeting, or giving a talk of any kind.

In addition to the possibility of a technical problem occurring, it is felt that using an electronic tablet from the platform could prompt others to feel that they too should invest in such a device. Additionally, since many brothers cannot afford such a device, using one prominently from the stage could, in effect, create “class distinctions” or appear to be a “showy display of one’s means of life.”—Jas. 2:4; 1John 2:16.

Thank you for noting this direction. We send our warm Christian love.

BY the way - i don't think the price of iPads have changed since then? Maybe JWs are so much more affluent now:) THEY ARE HORRID

• Dagney
    Dagney

^^^ The chariot just made a U-ie.

But seriously, they don't want to print crap anymore. Printing is costly compared to putting new info on a webpage. They want to produce videos about "baby Jesus" and lesbian families. 

They've never been concerned if anything they demand is easier on the flock...it's always been about what is best for the corporation.

They have always been so focused on their printed materials...it's really an interesting marketing program. I still would love to know who has created this scheme.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit