What musical groups or songs were bad according to JWs?

by Victorian sky 57 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Nosferatu
    Nosferatu

Ace of Base also recieved a bit of flak for their music video "The Sign". Apparently they were using satanic symbols in that video.

• peacefulpete
    peacefulpete

I loved the time the speaker at a convention decried the Barbara Mandrel song "sleeping single in a double bed " was endorseing fornication! Apparently he heard the title and naturally misinterpreted the words in a negative light.

• Cicatrix
    Cicatrix

Just before we bailed, my daughter was constantly being counseled for listening to the band Creed. She was told that she shouldn't listen to them because they are a Christian band. She started carrying an article from a magazine in which the members of Creed stated that they were not a Christian band.

Being as I'm the one who bought her her first Creed album, she was allowed to keep them. I love the song "What IF":)

• Abaddon
    Abaddon
    He told me that Jimmy Page sold his soul to the devil to become the world's best guitar player.

Been there, done that; it doesn't work.

• OICU8it2
    OICU8it2

A Night on Bald Mountain by Modeste Mussorgsky (sp.) Chernobog was a demon. Picures at an Exhibition, Mussorgsky, Demonic withces. Bye, Bye Miss American Pie, demonic influence. ELP, Pirates, "toast to the devil and the deep blue sea". Yessongs. Twisted Sister, Anthrax, Beethoven's Pastoral Symphony, Motley Crue, Aerosmith, Rolling Stones.

• wheres caleb?
    wheres caleb?

I thought the whole issue was ridiculous. Every song, whether it was modern or classical, had the potential to be detrimental to one's spiritual health. My friends and I just listened to whatever we wanted. I used to get requests to perform "Stairway to Heaven" at witness gatherings. There was even an elder who complemented my guitar playing. That was before the talks about debased music in the early 80's.

I was asked to play the guitar at bethel before a small group of friends. I chose "Dust in the Wind". I started, then a pioneer sister asked me to stop because she heard that it was a bad song. I think some people were just being a little too paranoid. She didn't know for sure if it was a bad song with some hidden message and I didn't care to debate the issue.

Some witnesses take things too far. One elder gave a talk and commented that having a VCR meant that you can rent rated 'R' movies. He was judging anyone with a VCR and imputing people's motives in a talk. I heard one of the local elders praising him for having the guts to be honest. This was in the early eighties. I always wanted to know what he thought, when the society started releasing videos of their own.

• In_between_days
    In_between_days

The Eagles "Hotel California" was blacklisted amongst the dubs I knew, as it was about a "demonized" hotel WHat music WASNT thrown out by my parents. All of it was chucked. Soundgarden, Pearl Jam, NIN, Tool, Stone Temple Pilots, Nirvana, Beck, Tori Amos (can you guess what era I grew up in as a teenager?) It used to drive me absolutely crazy.

• In_between_days
    In_between_days

About 8 years ago there was alot of excitement in my local congregations centred around "enigma's" "Sadness". Apparently heaps of dubs had had a rampage of demon attacks from owning this song. There was some talking in the song that was apparently a Satanic Language. Not long ago I bought a compilation CD with this song on it. I listened to the talking. Guess what? It was French! Oh, those dubs!!

• LDH
    LDH
    her daughter brought home an album by a band called 10,000 Maniacs. She made her get rid of it, because she wouldn't allow one maniac in her house, let alone 10,000.

BWA HA HA HA HA.

I love Natalie Merchant.

How about Kool and the Gang "Get down on it"--which was apparently about---hold your breath--getting down on a penis.

I'm laughing so hard I'm crying, but you can't make this shit up.

Lisa

Get your back up off the wall Class

• doodle-v
    doodle-v

oh GAWD LOL im laughing so haaaard BWHAAAAHAHAHA

I was told that ACDC stood for Against Christ Devils Children

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit