What musical groups or songs were bad according to JWs?

by Victorian sky 57 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Odrade
    Odrade

Anything with words. Any classical music from "demonized" composers like Franz Liszt. Any Jazz that had a suggestive title (like Fourplay, a jazz ensemble with four of the greatest modern jazz soloists collaborating.) Anything my friends listened to. Anything that was too "frenetic" cause it might be demons again. (Think Coltrane.)

Oh yeah, Ray Charles, cause 1) there were words, some of them about drinking, and 2) he was immoral in his personal life. Which brings me to... any music that otherwise would be acceptable, but that the artist was "immoral." Anything patriotic, or by a composer who sometimes composed patriotic songs. (Sousa was BAD.)

ugg, quitting now... need a drink and some NIN. haha.

Odrade

• smurfette
    smurfette

The local Elder King where I was from frowned on anything that was not polka, waltz, or country music.

My mother had an arbitrary system of sniffing out satanic music that left me very confused at best. The demons seemed to have a cut off date for posessing music, somewhere around 1975. She had great taste in music and introduced me to Janice Joplin, Jimi Hendrix, Bob Dylan, & Frank Zappa among others. I was suprised yet not to see P-Funkadelic listed above. We used to listen to them all the time. While these bands were perfectly acceptable she thought Bon Jovi, Poison, and pretty much all the hair bands were posessed. She really had it in for Def Leppard, Whitesnake, Prince, and Michael Jackson too.

Our congregation's #1 demonized band was Motley Crue and my mom's best friend had a terriffic tale of her son's room being posessed by a Motley Crue cassette. She called my mom in to burn it. Anything Punk or Grunge was also viewed with suspicion.

• smurfette
    smurfette

Does anyone else recall the John Denver Incident in the early 90's? My mom was a huge fan and had stacks of his records. ((shudder)) She used to listen to them all the time. (((double shudder))) In the early 90's a smurf-like rumor swept our circut that John Denver hated JW's and had kicked a bunch out of a concert in Colorado. The story went that he'd asked if there were any JW's in the audience. They cheered, and then he asked them to get out! Even at the time this rumor was current I had a hard time believing it. Anyway, the first evening she heard this my mother disposed of her beloved John Denver album collection and yea there was much rejoicing for my brother and me.

• Nosferatu
    Nosferatu
    In the early 90's a smurf-like rumor swept our circut that John Denver hated JW's and had kicked a bunch out of a concert in Colorado.

I sorta remember something like that. I remember hearing that John Denver hated JWs.

One thing I do remember is something about Johnny Carson having a guest who was bashing the JWs. Carson kicked the guest off his show, defending the JWs.

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

KISS ? every informed dub of that era knew that the band's name stood for Kids In Search Of Satan

Never have I heard such ill informed comment and pious self righteous snobbery as in the Society in those days. I seethed under it all. The trouble was that I was an elder and did not dare speak out against it

I wish I had now

• run dont walk
    run dont walk

what a great topic !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

oh there were lots, Led Zeppelin, Rolling Stones, Def Leppard, Supertramp, AC/DC was the big taboo, and of course OZZY was the biggie. Madonna was frowned upon as well and Prince who of course has now changed his ways. They took it one step farther by saying "would you go to such places that play and glorify this music" in english don't go to clubs.

I look forward to reading what some younger ones say on this topic, especially with all the rap and suggestive females, from Brittany to Beyonce to Ashkira (I know I spelt that wrong)

• Victorian sky
    Victorian sky

I forgot Vanilla Ice's "Ice, Ice Baby", this big headed elder got up on the platform and mentioned the song by name saying that it's code for crack cocaine and encouraging drug use - do they sit around thinking this stuff up? - V Sky

• SixofNine
    SixofNine
    do they sit around thinking this stuff up? - V Sky

Yes. And what's more, they use peyote to do it!

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

even the beatles --- Lucy in Sky with Diamonds LSD -- and loads off other stuff -- you were only truly safe with Kingdumb Melodies

• Englishman
    Englishman

I think that Teddy Johnson and Pearl Carr's "Bye bye little birdie" got the OK.

Englishman.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit