When is the AGM for this year?

by no-zombie 18 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• belogical
    belogical

October AGM is a good excuse to hold their Octowhisky fest

• blondie
    blondie

Anna Marina, thanks for sharing that additional info. I was just sharing the WTS view, since we are talking about why the WTS might schedule the AGM in October. I am aware that other people/groups think differently.

Sometimes, people think I share the WTS viewpoint but I say:

Reporting not supporting

• RubaDub
    RubaDub

With the Society, big "events" are thought to happen in the Spring or particularly the Fall. Those of us who were old enough to remember the 1975 thing recall that the 6,000 years of mans creation would end in early Fall (October) of 1975. It was even mentioned in the Aid book at that time.

I'm not a lawyer or talking specifics here, but corporations are required by law to have some type of meeting annually to fulfill the legal aspects. Many corporations just have their voting members do this via proxy. The last I heard (maybe 10 years ago) there were about 175 or so "shareholders" in the Pittsburgh corporation. They are typically the heavies in the organization. To be one of the voting members, it is considered a privilege since you are considered one of the few.

I would have to look up the articles of incorporation by the Pennsylvania corporation for the dates and requirements but it is no more than just fulfilling the annual requirements by the law.

Since October is such an important time in JW land, why not have the Annual Meeting tie into that time frame?

Rub a Dub

• smiddy3
    smiddy3

An annual general meeting is a meeting of the general membership of an organization. These organizations include membership associations and companies with shareholders. These meetings may be required by law or by the constitution, charter, or by-laws governing the body. Wikipedia

So my question is ,who makes up the general membership of the WT/JW religion ? Do they have shareholders and who would they be ?

Who gets to vote at an AGM ?

Is any of this public knowledge ?

• RubaDub
    RubaDub

I have been to a couple of the Annual Meetings at the Stanley in Jersey City NJ in the past. It was typically announced that the "business" meeting was held just before the actual meeting. They would say that so-and-so was voted for another term as president, somebody else vice-president, treasurer, etc. At one of the times I was there, I recall Don Adams was the president of the corporation.

Whoever was reading the announcement would try to make it a bit humorous by asking the audience what they thought the numbers were as far as how many voted for each. He (a GB member) would then say, "Believe it or not brothers, there was a unanimous vote of 175-0" (or something like that).Then the people would laugh since everyone knew that the vote would be unanimous.

I'm sure the actual business part of the meeting was very short since who would object to anything presented. It's not like there would be a real discussion as would be typical in many organizations. I just remember that the voting members had to be there earlier (around 8AM) before the rest were allowed in around 9AM. It always started at 10AM.

To be a voting member is just like anything else in the Borg or for that matter, many other corporations. Probably similar to becoming a CO or any other position of power. I just recall hearing that this one or that one was asked by the Society to become a voting member. I do know that a lot of them are older and some need to vote by proxy since that cannot travel to the location.

Rub a Dub

• road to nowhere
    road to nowhere

One of those leftover feelings is that Oct 4,5 is the time for jehovah to act. Never happened yet but God must be a gregorian. They never said if the proper international date line should be at Jerusalem though

• ToesUp
    ToesUp

Just another JW event where some can feel EXTRA SPECIAL than others.

• DATA-DOG
    DATA-DOG

Ahhh crap... Iā€™m going to miss it..

DD šŸ˜Ž

• RubaDub
    RubaDub

Just another JW event where some can feel EXTRA SPECIAL than others.

Yes, Toes up. it's one of the events when you can get that special tingle up the side of your leg just knowing that your were there.

Rub a Dub

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit