"Matthew 5:5 Blessed are the meek, for they will inherit the earth."

by pale.emperor 24 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Londo111
    Londo111

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Matthew_5:5

One would need to examine the theology of the writer of Matthew, who was writing from a Jewish/Torah-keeping viewpoint. In this view, the Messiah would rule over an earthly kingdom. The theology of other writers didn't necessarily have the exact same viewpoint...for instance, the write of John.

The official creeds of many Christian denominations do teach variations on the idea that Christ returns to the earth and brings about paradisaic conditions. Of course, the viewpoint of individuals in these denominations might differ from person to person as each is usually free to come to their own conclusions, or at least aren't excommunicated and shunned if they do.

• Diogenesister
    Diogenesister

I believe most denominations believe in the thousand year earthly kingdom - so presumably think it relates to that? I may be wrong.

Isn't it arrogant of the "anointed" GB to believe a scripture that brings comfort to the humble ones cannot of course relate to them...it has to relate to the oh-so- meek GB [ sarcasm]

• waton
    waton

has to relate to the oh-so- meek GB [ sarcasm]

Diogenesister, yes, it a consistent wt application. Think of the deeds of the sheep and goats, Math:25, it is not to help the least ones, but the anointed GB "brothers of Christ" and their enterprise.

• fulltimestudent
    fulltimestudent

.... and then there is the distinct possibility that Jesus was one of those preachers that rambled on and on about anything that came into their dis-organised minds.

On top of that is that fact that very very few people have retentive memories and are able to repeat verbatim everything they hear. This means that the gospel authors were reconstructing every detail they wrote about.

Why would it always make sense?

• Crazyguy
    Crazyguy

I read somewhere that the New Testament was a retelling of the old, so inherit the land in psalms became the same in the New Testament then the word was changed to earth both in Mathew and revelations chapter 5 . Also most of the sermon on the mount can be found in the book of Enoch written before Jesus if there was one was born

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

Do you know something weird about this verse and JWs? According to official JW teaching, this verse applies to the anointed in heaven and not to the other sheep on earth. How can that be! What on earth am I talking about? Well JWs believe the whole of the New Testament is addressed to the anointed, not the other sheep. The sermon on the mount, where this saying occurs, is no different. So although JWs often cite this verse as if it applies to the other sheep, the logic of their own position is that it is addressed to the anointed, not the other sheep. This was pointed out to WT writers and they issued a "question from readers" article on the subject. That article confirmed that this verse, strictly speaking, addresses the anointed rather than the other sheep. The QFR stated that the anointed are the meek ones who will "inherit the earth" in the sense that they will rule over the earth. The verse is not addressing the other sheep,directly, and they will live on the earth but they will not "inherit the earth" in the sense that the anointed will inherit the earth as rulers. This is a technicality JWs don't point out very often, but it's there in the literature.

• pale.emperor
    pale.emperor

JWs believe the whole of the New Testament is addressed to the anointed, not the other sheep.

slimboyfat do you have a cross reference from any Watchtower publication for this? I'd love to have it to hand the next time they come knocking. I didnt know this when i was a JW and i'd be sure many others wouldn't either.

• fastJehu
    fastJehu

*** w08 1/15 p. 22 par. 11 Counted Worthy to Receive a Kingdom ***

The Hebrew Scriptures were written in the first place for the fleshly nation of Israel during the time that they had a special relationship with God. The Christian Greek Scriptures were written primarily for “the Israel of God,” those anointed as brothers of Christ and spiritual sons of God. Of course, that in no way suggests that non-Israelites could not derive great benefit from studying the Hebrew Scriptures. Similarly, Christians who are not anointed with holy spirit derive immeasurable benefits from studying and living according to the counsel found in the Christian Greek Scriptures.

• Xanthippe
    Xanthippe

Look at the context, Blessed are the poor in spirit for theirs is the kingdom of heaven -Matt 5:3. Blessed are those persecuted for righteousness sake for theirs is the kingdom of heaven - Matt 5:10. Strongly suggests inheriting the earth as a possession as kings.

Having said that, who wrote it, who translated it, who decided this bit should go in the Bible canon and not be assigned as apocryphal, which verses in between were discarded etc etc.

• JRK

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit