"Matthew 5:5 Blessed are the meek, for they will inherit the earth."

by pale.emperor 24 Replies latest watchtower bible

• pale.emperor
    pale.emperor

*** w08 1/15 p. 22 par. 11 Counted Worthy to Receive a Kingdom ***

The Hebrew Scriptures were written in the first place for the fleshly nation of Israel during the time that they had a special relationship with God. The Christian Greek Scriptures were written primarily for “the Israel of God,” those anointed as brothers of Christ and spiritual sons of God. Of course, that in no way suggests that non-Israelites could not derive great benefit from studying the Hebrew Scriptures. Similarly, Christians who are not anointed with holy spirit derive immeasurable benefits from studying and living according to the counsel found in the Christian Greek Scriptures.

Im flabbergasted. I never knew this when i was in. It smacks the whole point of being a Christian in the face. How dare they!!

• jhine
    jhine

Hi Pale Emperor , JWs seem to ignore verses like Rev 21 :1 which talks about a new heaven and a new earth which would indicate that this earth as we know it will not continue . So how they teach that the great crowd will live on earth just as it is now l do not understand . This idea of heaven and earth being made new is firmly fixed in the OT as well eg. lsaiah 65 : 17 and lsaiah 66 : 22 . Rev 21 goes on to say

" l saw the the Holy City , the new Jerusalem , coming down out of heaven from God prepared as a bride beautifully dressed for her husband . And l heard a voice from the throne saying " Now the dwelling of God is with men and he will live with them ...... "

No division there , no saying God will live in heaven with the 144, 000 only .

Jan

• UnshackleTheChains
    UnshackleTheChains

Heaven and earth both belong to God.....Why shouldn't man live forever on earth also.

I actually believe that Jesus and his anointed ones/holy ones will come back to earth to rule for a thousand years. Not just JWs, but all who acknowledge Jesus as God's chosen King. All the powers of the earth will need to accept God's arrangement. Dan 2:44

• TheWonderofYou
    TheWonderofYou

Salam Fayyad - Prime minister of the Palestinian Authority from 2007 - 2013 met in 2009 with a little german delegation of evangelical bishops in Ramallah. Asked what was for him the way to peace he mentioned the important role of the little group of christians in muslim countries.

The main contribution of christians he said, would be the constant recollection of non-violence in the solution of the imminent conflicts. As a muslim, he understood the political ethics of Christians so that non-violence has a very high place in resolving conflicts.

He as a Muslim was impressed to find in the teaching of Jesus that Jesus follows his way very clearly but he had always remained nonviolent.

And he recollected a saying of Jesus about non-violence to achieve political goals. Salaam Fayyad had evidently in mind the beatitude of Jesus: "Blessed are the meek, for they shall inherit the earth, the land."

The article shows also that "meek" in the greek sense meant not apathy but the a courage to trust in god and remain non-violent, non-ruthless. Its about remaining meek in the face of violence. If you look at the situation from a "meek" perspective you would even see that this beatitute certainly is already fulfillilng now and not only in the utopic future.

In german the word for "meekness" is "Sanftmut", sanft + mut, meek+mettle not only gentle+temper.

The biblical word for meekness means also a mettle in non-violence, this is exactly a absolut diametrical statement in which Jesus wants us to have trust, that meekness, nonviolence will lead to make people possesors of the land, that is how gods kingdom works he says, in which would govern other norms, namely love and those who could see it would understand it.

And again contrary to the JW-position here are not meant the "landlords" or "princes" or fake "144000 kings" that will govern as "rulers" over the land but really meek ones. Exactly what JW await, a governmental power for the meek ones once in high position, is that what Jesus condemns here and otherwhere, when he says that there would be no "positions" in the kingdom anymore.

I think so, because Jesus and the gospelwriter are referring also to the Psalmist who reads: The poor will inherit the earth. - Here is again this diametrical saying, that seems also total irrealistic and utopical ...the poor will never inherit or possess something, You see that this is a word of hope, an encouragment to look with other perspective unto the facts. And the POOR dont have any positions in the world too. It is not meant that the poor really will possess or overtake everything. It is only a saying. Any possession dont play a role in gods kingdom

Obvioulsy Jesus spoke of an other perspective to solve the problems of the world and he used a known Psalm to express this.

http://www.kirche-mv.de/fileadmin/PEK-Downloadtexte/091108_KanzeltauschHeide.pdf

• OutsiderLookingIn
    OutsiderLookingIn

I just saw this thread and I must say that I, too, am shocked that the official WT position is that Matthew 5:5 applies to the 144,000! I have talked to JWs at the carts (to their dismay) and they are quick to reroute any conversation to Psalm 37 and the promise of everlasting life on earth for the "great crowd". But Psalm 37:11 is the exact same as Matthew 5:5! How can it be for the great crowd in one place and the 144,000 in the other? And I've actually been told that Matthew 5:5 was Jesus's promise to the great crowd on a "Paradise Earth" (never appears in the Bible). So maybe they're misunderstanding JW theology, which isn't too hard to do.

It just got me thinking--Where are any promises for the great crowd really? How does the GB decide what is for the great crowd and what isn't? And how have so many gone along for so long on promises that even the Watchtower says aren't for them? So many questions!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit