J.W's and " but that is Pagan !".

by Phizzy 15 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

There have been a number of Threads touching on this before, Leolaia for one, back in the day when we had many an erudite Poster, showed the pagan origins of many things, including the Passover , and by extension, the JW " Memorial".

What prompted my thought on this was a conversation I had the other day with a young lady, never a JW, who said the JW stance on birthday celebrations, was groundless and cruel.

I thought later that JW's do a " Pick and Mix " as usual, as they do with so many other things, on what they condemn as "pagan" and what they accept and practice.

The institution of Marriage itself is pagan, marriages were performed long before the Bible was written, and long before the Nation of Israel was formed. Yet JW's perform marriages, use the veil, and the ring, all Pagan. The names of the days of the Week, the months of the year, all Pagan.

I guess you guys can think of many more things ? JW Hypocrisy at full bore again.

• niknak
    niknak

I used to study with JW up until I had an encounter with Jesus and The Holy Spirit lead me to an accurate knowledge of God. One of the last studies I had I was reading what does the Bible teach book. I stopped when it said "Do origins matter? There answer was... "Yes". At that point I brought up the origins of the religion and they did not like the fact that I told them origins only matter when it doesn't pertain to JWs. I told them if they wanted to continue the Bible studies they would need to leave the literature in the car and only bring in the word of God and let iron sharpen iron because they keep putting new wine into old wineskins when using the watchtower magazines. the Bible is provided by God and is beneficial for teaching, reproving (rebuking), for setting things straight (correcting), for discipling in righteousness so that the man of God may be fully competent, completely equipped for every good work (2 Timothy 3:16-17).

• Sea Breeze
    Sea Breeze

Phizzy:

The Passover Over is pagan and marriage is pagan? I have never heard that accusation before.

• wolverines
    wolverines

I think they would argue that marriage was instituted in the garden of Eden.

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

Go back far enough in (actual) human history, and pretty much everything has “pagan” origins.

• Sea Breeze
    Sea Breeze

Adam and Eve were pagan?

• alanv
    alanv
    • "A main concern is, not what the practice meant hundreds of years ago, but how it is viewed today in your area. (Awake! 2003 Sep 22 p.24)
    • "However, if one’s motive in putting up a wind chime has nothing to do with false religion, superstition or demonism, and there is little possibility of others’ getting the wrong impression regarding its use in the home, it is a simple matter for personal decision." (Watchtower 1981 Jun 1 p.31)
  • RubaDub
    RubaDub

Adam and Eve were pagan?

@Sea Breeze ...

It can be argued that Eve was pagan since she had that snake tattoo on her lower back.

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

"back in the day when we had many an erudite Poster"

Well said Phizzy. They are gone but not forgotten. ..Anyway....

Pagan roots. Yes, back in history everything was tied in to the beliefs of religion, so things of old probably had some pagan connection. Eg.

Wedding rings

The days of the week named after gods.

The months of the year too

Many great works of art, commissioned by "Babylon the Great" have " pagan" symbole., haloes ,crosses and things. Some depict scenes from ancient mythology.

Old songs may have origins in gospel , therefore false religion.

Do you remember the issue of the Mexican pinata which originated in something... The WTS said that since it had long lost any religious meaning, it was o k to have them. Pity they dont apply tbat thinking to other things.

• Davros
    Davros

The days of the week named after gods.

The months of the year too

I seem to remember reading somewhere that at one time, the Society even proposed to change the names of the Months of the year because the names of the months have pagan origins.

One of the months was supposed to be named "Jehovah", but can't remember the other names they proposed. Can't remember where I read this either.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit