HBO removes Gone with the Wind because its offensive.

by phoenixrising 33 Replies latest social current

• millie210
    millie210

You're running a bit behind on current events arent you Hisclarkness?

The over-dramatization has already occurred and we have all been watching it for the last two weeks.

Let's be plain spoken shall we?

Why do you suppose they plucked that one movie out of their line up to remove?

HBO? The same one that ran Game of Thrones?

Lots of racist overtones and articles written aboutthat show (that they wouldnt have dreamed of removing)

here's one:

This much should have been obvious from way back when the very first episode aired in 2011. It was clear then that showrunners David Benioff and DB Weiss envisioned their world as a white one........................

GoT’s co-creators, Benioff and Weiss, announced that their next project would be Confederate, an alternative history drama, in which the south won the American civil war and slavery never ended. The announcement was met with near-instantaneous social-media anger from activists including #OscarsSoWhite creator April Reign, Ta-Nehisi Coates and Roxane Gay, who described it as “slavery fan fiction”. The project has since been delayed indefinitely.

The backlash might not have been so severe, however, if Game of Thrones wasn’t already perceived to have a problem with diversity.

https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/2019/apr/06/there-are-no-black-people-on-game-of-thrones-why-is-fantasy-tv-so-white

The article sways back and forth trying to make points on both sides and ends up making no points really but it does give those with eyes some insight into how this all plays out ultimately.

The knee jerk "Symbolism" of removing Gone With the Wind (who most people in their 20s and under would only watch for school credit anyhow) was just that....symbolism.

The mightly HBO has but one ruler - here's how you spell its name - $$.

They can pick GWTW (which isn't making them any money anyhow) and yank it and promise to write a contextual forward.

Sensitive much!

And yet clever to pay lip service while doing absolutely nothing of any meaning.

Along with us not "over dramatizing" (still scratching my head over the faint whiff of the condescension in that statement)

How about we allow each person on this thread to speak clearly and address the points as they see them without any of us assigning emotion to them.

"Lets" try that, shall we?

• Quetzal
    Quetzal

@milie210

Along with us not "over dramatizing" (still scratching my head over the faint whiff of the condescension in that statement)

How about we allow each person on this thread to speak clearly and address the points as they see them without any of us assigning emotion to them.

Humans are emotional creatures.

"without any of us assigning emotion to them." that is going to be tough on this forum or on any other platform for that matter when the subject matter is emotionally charged.

• millie210
    millie210

Point well taken Quetzal.

You are right. Perhaps the best we can do is contain our emotions to our own posts and not label others.

As for me, I really need to apply my inner "Switzerland" these days. Everywhere I look, the amount of overreacting and the pressing ahead without thought or aim of using this occasion to really accomplish anything is stupefying.

There is an opportunity here but its being stampeded over by competing agendas.

Funerals are symbols too - of closure and healing, usually. My hope was after the final Floyd funeral we would see a beginning of a collective sitting down at the table and the beginning of constructive talk.

Not so far. More statues pulled down, more acting out instead of thinking in.

So whats next?

In the U.S. the 4th of July is approaching which is a holiday celebrated with red, white and blue food, drinking and fire crackers!

(this is said tongue in cheek folks!)

WIll that wave of patriotism replace the current wave of disorganized anarchy?

• minimus
    minimus

This is getting more and more ridiculous

• RubaDub
    RubaDub

In today's world, Archie Bunker would be in handcuffs serving a life sentence in some max security prison.

• Quetzal
    Quetzal

@RubaDub

In today's world, Archie Bunker would be in handcuffs serving a life sentence in some max security prison.

Very true even if a little bit of a hyperbole. Times are indeed changing but not always for the best and neither is it always for the worst.

JWs will say that the world is getting worse and that is a sign of the last days but others in this forum have shown that there are a lot of things that are actually getting better.

• Hisclarkness
    Hisclarkness

Phoenixrising said:

“Hisc, you are out and out WRONG. But I think you know that already. There was one person [a usual suspect ] on the news today calling for a ban on some dog cartoon because it makes cops look like good guys. There is no defense of this shit except to just lie and deny it like Hisc.”

Wow. All I did was quote the article that YOU posted and literally restate it in my own words. And now I’m lying and denying?

For the record, I have no problem with Gone With the Wind or any other period movie. I understand that they are products of their time and not necessarily reflective of today’s values.
  • RubaDub
    RubaDub

People, what do you expect? It's about time.

The arrogant guy with the mustache smoked and used vulgar language on the screen, with his famous quote, "quite frankly, I don't give a d***"

There are young people who have access to HBO. What else should HBO do?

• LongHairGal
    LongHairGal

RUBADUB:

If it were modern times, Rhett Butler would have told Scarlett:..“Frankly, my dear, I don’t give a s#it.”

Let them go ahead and pull the movie or add a disclaimer 🙄. Whatever makes them happy.

As for the confederate flag:..No offense to any southerners and no disrespect to their ancestors who fought, but the confederate nation was defeated in the Civil War. If anybody wants to hang the flag in their garage or in their den, that’s their business. But, it doesn’t really belong hanging in a public area. I can imagine this offends black people.

I know southerners never quite got over losing this war and animosity still exists. (I remember explaining this to a Polish immigrant friend years ago who wanted to know what the attitudes are around the country.)

As far as statues (Robert E. Lee) being torn down: whatever is put in its place had better be neutral and represent the whole population in general - and not some activist or terrorist..If so, then I hope the pigeons decorate it..

• phoenixrising
    phoenixrising

LHG I disagree on the monuments. These have been here for over 100 years and are a part of American history. Not only that but it is a horrible president that any time some idiot is fake offended by a statue then they can tear it down. Today its R. E. Lee and we don't have to wait till tomorrow they are calling for it today, Remove Washington, Jefferson and others. In londumb they defaced a monument to Lincoln. There are calls to blow up Mount Rushmore. What starts with public monuments move quickly to private monuments. Calls for removing people from their graves because they were not what some think as PC. The left does not care because they want America destroyed. The left today reminds me a lot of the thinking of Charlie Manson. That they will help a race war and then the blacks will look to them to lead them. LOL Good luck with that idiots.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit