Oi Cofty

by Landy 30 Replies latest social current

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

Of all the things to accuse SNP - jingoistic? Really? Either you know nothing about Scottish politics or you don't know what the word jingoistic means. The SNP vocally opposed unnecessary wars that the UK government has engaged. They support unilateral disarmament, support the UN, and have only very reluctantly accepted a policy of remaining in the NATO alliance as long as Scotland doesn't need to harbour weapons of mass destruction. In fact it's the SNP's opposition to the Iraq war and nuclear weapons that attracted many people to the cause, me included. One of the most popular independence slogans during the referendum "Bairns Not Bombs" was plastered all over cars and houses. A rather curious marching call for so-called warmongers.

As for the other slurs they are also the oppsotive of the truth. The Yes campaign was outward looking, pro-immigration, pro-EU, positive about Scotland's place in a British family of nations. The anti-English slur is a canard so old a patently untrue that even Scottish opposition parties have given up insulting the intelligence of the Scottish people by invoking it.

About the Billy Connolly quote: I think it perfectly exemplifies the small mindedness of a few who still exhibit the Scottish cringe, or the idea that there's something abnormal or dangerous about the notion that a country should govern itself if that country happens to be called Scotland. Plus it's well worth remembering that Billy Connolly was not just opposing Scottish independence in that quote. He made that comment during the referendum for devolution in 1997 and was strongly opposed to Scotland having any parliament of any kind. Which is a position so unpopular and extreme now in Scotland that not even Scottish Tories advocate reversing devolution.

The BBC was extremely biased against the independence movement during the campaign. I saw this myself especially during the last days of the campaign when the Yes movement created a carnival atmosphere in Scotland that was barely reported. Also barely reported was the violence of the unionists in George Square the day after.

https://youtu.be/TSOu8f549iM

https://youtu.be/Ajd4R-9BEIw

• cofty
    cofty

Compare...

Either you know nothing about Scottish politics or you don't know what the word jingoistic means. - SBF

One of the most popular independence slogans during the referendum "Bairns Not Bombs" - SBF

As for the other slurs they are also the oppsotive of the truth. - SBF

What does oppsotive mean?

The anti-English slur is a canard

The anti-English rhetoric I witnessed constantly during the campaign was shameful.

Bunch of small-minded ignoramuses who thought that Braveheart was a documentary.

• bohm
    bohm
    The BBC produces some of the best programming in the world. Of course the news has a bias - every news source does.

Is the bias in this case pro or anti-English?

I can understand why many would find that kind of bias upsetting, especially in a tax-financed news organization.

• cofty
    cofty
    Is the bias in this case pro or anti-English?

Neither. It lives in a "liberal" bubble.

• bohm
    bohm

What is the liberal bubble?

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

I have no idea how you think your post is an answer to what I said, or how an anti-war movement can be described as jingoistic. Bizarre. The referendum campaign was about avoiding another Iraq war, removing Trident weapons of mass destruction, saving the NHS, staying in the EU, pro-immigration, Scotland getting the governments it votes for. Where are you getting Braveheart or anti-English arguments? Must be from unionist side.

bohm the bias of the BBC is not about Englishness. It is supportive of the UK state and against self-government of the home nations, pro-monarchy, neo-liberal economic order, and British military intervention, most notoriously leading up to the Iraq war in 2003.

Former BBC journalist Paul Mason compared BBC bias against Scottish independence to its bias supporting the Blair government into Iraq war:

“Not since Iraq have I seen BBC News working at propaganda strength like this. So glad I’m out of there,”
  • Landy
    Landy
    What is the liberal bubble?

It tends to be quite progressive, think of Fox News and it's the opposite of that.

It's still probably the best impartial source of news in the UK (if not the world).

• notsurewheretogo
    notsurewheretogo
    The referendum campaign was about avoiding another Iraq war, removing Trident weapons of mass destruction, saving the NHS, staying in the EU, pro-immigration, Scotland getting the governments it votes for.

Utter nonsense...the lies and non-facts coming from the SNP, backed by the BBC in Scotland shows their true colours...they want to be independent irrelevant of the damage it does to Scotland or the people in it. They are hellbent in making a name for themselves at all cost....at the cost of all sensibleness and reasonableness.

If the 2014 ref had gone YES we would be in deep trouble....Nicoliar is still spouting things off that are not just untrue but warped to support her cause.

SBF, I thought you could see all this like the 55% of us who said NO...we especially given we can see through the lies because we have done so with the WT!

I'm still utterly baffled how anyone can support the SNP unless it is just the Braveheart factor because everything they say is not backed up by fact and everything they want to achieve will utterly damage everything about Scotland and its people, its economy etc.

• Landy
    Landy
    They are hellbent in making a name for themselves at all cost....at the cost of all sensibleness and reasonableness.

That sums it up pretty well.

It's amusing how Sturgeon has gone quiet now though. Despite her rhetoric she doesn't want a second referendum as she can't afford to lose it and she can't afford to win it.

• Ruby456
    Ruby456

another excellent BBC program is Spy in the Wild. this captures the social life of animals and birds including what I can only describe as their feelings.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit