Rebels and Red Coats - Native Americans & Blacks in the American Revolution

by Simon 69 Replies latest jw friends

• Double Edge
    Double Edge

Hi Stacy, and WELCOME.

Does the owner have an obsession about America or something??? At least he does his best to make Americans feel welcome.

You should have been here a couple of months ago at the beginning of the war in iraq... (hehe) now there was REAL fireworks ...Simon, the owner, is a good guy, really ... it's called "recreation bashing" from our cousins across the pond - as you can see, it goes both ways....it keeps us all on our toes.

• Satanus
    Satanus

Slavery has been a tradition in europe, arabia, africa since at least the roman empire. It's just that britain and america were the first countries to change all that. After they illegalized it, they even ran an interdiction along the coast of africa. There is a first hand account of the capture of a slaver ship by the americans at http://etext.lib.virginia.edu/toc/modeng/public/WooCapt.html

SS

• Stacy Smith
    Stacy Smith

Thank you double edge. I was here, lurking, I saw.

• teejay
    teejay
    Does the owner have an obsession about America or something???

Pssst! Yo, Stacy!!

Just between me and you...

Don't tell nobody, but yeah... I think he secretly does!

• nilfun
    nilfun

"In reaction to this repression, the kkk was born."

"And it is ridiculous to say that the KKK was born in
    reaction to oppression, when the founders and members
    of the KKK just a few years back were themselves the
    oppressors (and slaveowners)."

Well, power is never willingly given away. So while it
    is true that one of the reasons the KKK (the first one) formed
    was in reaction to the policies of Reconstruction, I think
    would be much more accurate to mention that their biggest
    motivation was to maintain White supremacy. Terrorizing
    blacks by lynchings and whippings were very effective methods
    the Klan used to keep Blacks away from the polls.

• Simon
    Simon
    At the time of the American Civil War, Europes 2 most powerful countries Britain and France, were both monarchies

Another interesting thing about the American revolution is that it sowed the seeds for the French revolution - all those French soldiers and sailors who had faught for a republic returned home ... to a monarchy?! Not for long ...

I don't have an obsession for America but just have an interest in both history and politics. Things like the war of the roses, culloden, or the battle of salamis would probably not be as vibrant discussions though.

• happyout
    happyout

Thanks, Nilfun, you made a succinct point.

Happyout

• jelly
    jelly

While the KKK is without a doubt about racism, Its important to remember they also hated Catholics, and the Irish (just like the british) . So while you had to be white to join the hate was not limited towards only black poeple. I dont think SS was being sympathic to the clan he was just pointing out some history. The legal system of reconstruction dramatically changed the power structure to a more fair way and in attempt to revert to the status quo (unfair prewar laws and standards) KKK was formed to act in extralegal ways.

Terry

• Satanus
    Satanus

Happy

I used to have that file, but the nsa must have snuck into my computer through a backdoor and deleted it. Just kidding. I'm still looking.

Good point, jelly. They hated the irish too? That's interesting, because originally, there were lots of irish and scottish in there.

SS

• jelly
    jelly

I think it was more of a catholic thing than irish. But because Irish tended to be catholic in practice the irish got a trouble from these guys also.

Terry

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit