Rebels and Red Coats - Native Americans & Blacks in the American Revolution

by Simon 69 Replies latest jw friends

• DannyBear
    DannyBear

Native Americans & Blacks shared a commonality, being to weak, to few, with no political or social influence, to make a difference. Put all that together, and it didn't matter who they supported.....it just didn't matter in the big picture.

Same was true during the Civil War, although some all black units distinguished themselves in battle wearing blue and grey.

Bigboi,

Slavery was alive and well, well before the 1600's. Slaves a world wide commodity since the dawn of history.

Danny

• bigboi
    bigboi
    Bigboi,

Slavery was alive and well, well before the 1600's. Slaves a world wide commodity since the dawn of history.

Danny

I don't think I said or implied the opposite of what you said above.

However, contrary to popular belief, the first Africans to arrive in this country were in fact, not slaves.

• DannyBear
    DannyBear

Bigboi,

Your right, my one sentence reply was to narrow in scope. My point actually was that Africans were being traded in around Cuba/Islands long before the, trade in human flesh, made its way to America.

Sorry for trying to be to brief.

Danny

• Simon
    Simon

Sheesh ... some people reall seem to have reading problems.

Note, I said:

One possible reason that both native americans AND blacks (then slaves) were treated so badly for so long is that both largely sided with the British in the war of independence.

I did not say:

The only reason that both native americans AND blacks (then slaves) suffered at all is that they all sided with the British in the war of independence.

Now, if you want to argue that slavery for an extra almost 100 years was not suffering then be my guest. I think both groups suffered and to some degree this had to do with the war. The Native American siding with the British certainly fed into the American psyche that they were 'the enemy' and deserved to be killed ... it excused the genocide that followed. If you are saying that they would have been treated exactly the same if they had sided with the Americans then what does that say about the sort of people the Americans were?

• nilfun
    nilfun

One possible reason that both native americans AND blacks (then slaves) were treated so badly for so long is that both largely sided with the British in the war of independence.

Well, it's one possible reason because it was only one of many possible methods of resistance open to Native Americans and Blacks. Other methods of resistance, including leading slave revolts and waging warfare against their oppressors were also met with the predictable reaction of these groups being "treated so badly".

Interesting discussion.

• refiners fire
    refiners fire

Simon- 5 / Opposition- Nil

.."I've read some totally inane stuff on this board, but Simon? What you said here totally takes the cake. I mean... you have GOTTT to be kidding!"....

Pretty absolute statement there, definitely conveys the impression that the possibility of extensive Native alliance with the Brits is ridiculous.

..."And "Native Americans sided with the british? Pardon me for asking, but isn't it a bit early in the day for you to be drinking? There may have been an occasional alliance"...

Clearly there were no "occassional" alliances, rather, extensive alliances. Again, the passage: "Native Americans sided with the british? Pardon me for asking, but isn't it a bit early in the day for you to be drinking?" conveys the distinct impression the writer considers the possibility preposterous. Apparently not so preposterous after all.

Interesting post Simon.

• StinkyPantz
    StinkyPantz

RF-

Anyone can C & P theories/facts on a variety of subjects. This particular C & P is giving a possible explanation as to why Blacks and NA's suffered for so long. I could easily C & P 20 other articles trying to explain why Blacks and NA's suffered for so long, but from totally different angles.

I must admit though, that this is a fairly new perspective for me, so I didn't mind this particular C & P.

How though does Simon have 5? And who is the opposition?

Oh and RF, shush up .

• refiners fire
    refiners fire

Stinky. The point at issue is whether The natives sided with the brits in the war of independence. TJ clearly considers that hypothesis to be absurd enough to belittle the person whp posted it.

TJ stuck his boot in his mouth.

(TJ, youre still the greatest, man)

• StinkyPantz
    StinkyPantz

RF-

I read Teejay's word differently. He said:

Before you even posted this, I'd already agreed that there were instances where Natives and Blacks sided with the British.

Not:

TJ clearly considers that hypothesis to be absurd

In fact, he agreed that some NA's and Blacks sided with the Brits, he didn't call that absurd.

• refiners fire
    refiners fire

Stinky,Thats just TJ trying to remove his uninformed boot from his mouth once he realized Simon actually KNEW something about the subject and evidence was forthcoming.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit