Why do Jehovah's Witnesses avoid examining their own religion? An interesting read from Scientific American Magazine.

by Balaamsass2 21 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Balaamsass2
    Balaamsass2

For a long time, I thought PIMI (Physically in, Mentally in) JWs were unique in their inability to simply type and read the latest "Google" news results about "Jehovah's Witnesses " or "Watchtower". However, it appears it is not uncommon for a large portion of the population purposefully to avoid facts...on purpose!

"Why Do People Avoid Facts That Could Help Them?

"Several studies suggest that individuals widely prefer to remain ignorant about information that would benefit them when it’s painful—and sometimes when it’s pleasurable"

"Related research points to a similar conclusion: We often prefer to avoid learning information that could cause us pain."

https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/why-do-people-avoid-facts-that-could-help-them/

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat
    The article gets off on the wrong foot, because there’s a glaring flaw in the first survey mentioned. It cites very high percentages of people would not want to know exactly when their partner will die, if and when they will get divorced, or when they will die themselves.

I think it’s worth pointing out, and highly relevant to the results of this survey, that there is no rational way that humans can predict the exact timing of these events, and that most people are aware that the scenario suggested by the survey is simply impossible.

If you ask a bunch of people if they are in favour of flying pigs, you’re probably going to get a healthy majority against it, but it would be a mistake to interpret the result as a deathly fear of flying pigs, because some undetermined amount of the result is simply going to be due to the fact that people don’t believe in flying pigs as a concept.

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

I think they picked poor examples to illustrate their point. They talk of wanting (or not) to know the performance of investments you did not make.. that info is Not going to help you at all ,so what would be the point?

However , I do agree that many of us are unwilling to receive,or believe info that impacts on our set beliefs or makes us uncomfortable. We see this in politics and certainly in religion. We thought we saw it In householders when we went in Field Ministry. Definitely it is the case with JWs .

No matter how much information is presented to our loved ones who are still in it, they remain believers..

They know that it is afflicted by child abuse, it has changed important doctrines and now dismisses its past, they see the silliness of the ‘overlapping generation ‘ .....I could go on..But they still say, “But it’s THE TRUTH isn’t it !

• cofty
    cofty

Balaam - Thanks I think that is a very relevant article in this context.

SBF - You have ignored the words 'if you can'.

There are genetic tests that can tell with great accuracy if and even when we will succumb to certain incurable conditions such as Huntington's disease. Many people would understandably rather not know.

• eyeuse2badub
    eyeuse2badub

Jw's avoid examining their own religion because it's against their religion to do so! They could be df'ed for learning the truth!

just saying!

• Vanderhoven7
    Vanderhoven7

Have any WTS quotations advising members of other faiths to examine their religions?

• Ding
    Ding

Vanderhoven7,

I can't count how many times I've heard JWs say they don't need to examine their religion because they've already thoroughly investigated it and know that it's the truth.

When I've asked them to give me details of the investigation they did, the conversation ends quickly.

I think it was Don Cameron who said that if JWs had truly investigated the history of their organization they would never have joined.

• eyeuse2badub
    eyeuse2badub

"It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them that they've been fooled!"

Mark Twain

just saying!

• Balaamsass2
    Balaamsass2
    Vanderhoven7

Have any WTS quotations advising members of other faiths to examine their religions?

Yes. I conducted a number of studies with people in the little blue "Truth" book years ago. 1968/1969 ish. I believe the 2cd -3rd chapter was entitled "Why is it wise to examine your religion". That chapter disappeared in later years. :)

• MightyV8
    MightyV8
    Why Do People Avoid Facts That Could Help Them?

1 You can't fix stupid.

2 They are thick as pigs shit.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit