Why do Jehovah's Witnesses avoid examining their own religion? An interesting read from Scientific American Magazine.

by Balaamsass2 21 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Balaamsass2
    Balaamsass2

Cofty..I agree. TESTS. The Doc sent me one of those mail in Colon Cancer tests a while back. It sat on the counter for a month +. The idea of a "positive" created unexplained procrastination.

I personally KNEW Ray Franz at Bethel. I spoke with him about various things and had dinner with him and Cynthia in their room in the 1970s. I KNEW him to be a straight shooter, BUT it took me YEARS to read his book "Crises of Conscience". And even more years to add all the parts evidence together and leave the Borg.

• jp1692
    jp1692

Fear

• cofty
    cofty

Balaam - I had a similar reaction to picking up a copy of The Blind Watchmaker in the public library many years before I left the cult. I quickly realised that it directly answered all the arguments from design that I relied on.

I put it back on the shelf and didn't pick up another copy until after I was out.

• cofty
    cofty

Mighty V8 - I'm certain that membership of a cult has nothing to do with lack of intelligence.

• Half banana
    Half banana

I agree, I don't think JWs are stupid by nature, although poor education levels discourage inquiry.

Having intelligence is not the same as using intelligence. Many JWs are capable like a computer is capable but it depends how you use it.

To think like a JW is like having the wiring of the brain altered to admit only positive information on a subject. Like it would be possible to have the register of a computer modified only recognise things favourable to the JW belief system. Witnesses only regard favourable evidence for their version of WT "Truth" and ignore the overwhelming negative evidence which denies it.

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

With the JWS at least its about putting trust and faith in god's chosen ones the anointed GB members for accurate and truthful bible interpretation.

The people who are in this organization like that the world is going to come to an end with themselves most likely surviving, which is their reward for their devotion and actions within the organization.

To not be loyal and obedient to those men is being identifiable unloyal and disobedient to god the organization's established awareness and acceptance.

Plus questioning will get you pointed out as being spiritually weak and flawed and hurtful being among the rest of the congregation.

• Vidiot
    Vidiot
    Balaamsass2 - "Why do Jehovah's Witnesses avoid examining their own religion?"

Because they might find something that they don't like.

• Vanderhoven7
    Vanderhoven7

Here is one!

"We need to examine, not only what we personally believe, but also what is taught by any religious organization with which we may be associated. Are its teachings in full harmony with God’s Word, or are they based on the traditions of men? If we are lovers of the truth, there is nothing to fear from such an examination."

(The Truth that leads to ETERNAL LIFE, p.13)

• johnamos
    johnamos

[9-1-10 WT – Be like the noble-minded men and women whom the apostle Paul preached to in Beroea. They received the word with the greatest eagerness of mind, carefully examining the Scriptures daily as to whether these things were so. —Acts 17:11.You have nothing to fear from examining your beliefs in this way.” The bible encourages you to “make sure of all things” before accepting them as true. (1 Thess 5:21) Toward the end of the first century C.E., the apostle John urged his fellow christians: ” Beloved ones, do not believe every inspired expression, but test the inspired expressions to see whether they originate with God.” (1 John 4:1) Yes, even though a certain religious teaching seems to be “inspired” – or to come from God- it is still the course of wisdom to examine the Scriptures to make sure before accepting it as true- John 8:31,32. “]

[6-1-86 WT- To acquire a complete heart, we must be prepared emotionally to set aside preconceived opinions, willing to let God be found true even if it does demolish some of our pet ideas or cherished doctrinal views. (Romans 3:4)]

[11-1-11 Awake – Some noble-minded people from the ancient city of Beroea set a fine example in acquiring proper faith. Even though these individuals really wanted to believe what Christian missionaries taught them, they made a point of “carefully examining the Scriptures daily as to whether these things were so.”—Acts 17:11. What, though, if what you learn seems to contradict some of your deeply held beliefs? Should you just ignore it? Of course not. There may well be times when it is eminently reasonable to consider powerful evidence that appears to contradict what you believe. In the Bible, God promises to reward sincere individuals who search for truth by granting them knowledge, discernment, and thinking ability.—Prov 2:1-12. The kind of faith built on what the Bible teaches is compatible with reason. What kind of faith do you have? Many people have “inherited” their religious beliefs and have never seriously examined them in the light of reason. Yet, it is not a sign of disrespect to examine what you believe so as to ‘prove to yourself’ that your thinking is in harmony with God’s Word. (Romans 12:2) The Bible admonishes us to “test the inspired expressions to see whether they originate with God.” (1 John 4:1) If you do that, you will be in a position, even when your beliefs are challenged, to “make a defense before everyone that demands of you a reason for the hope in you.”]

[12-1-00 WT– Whatever authority people may arrogate to themselves, you do not have to accept their conclusions if they contradict God, ignore his Word, and violate common sense. In the final analysis, the wise course is always to “let God be found true, though every man be found a liar.” —Romans 3:4.]

[9-1-10 WT – To deceive, says one dictionary, means “to cause to accept as true or valid what is false or invalid.” It also implies “imposing a false idea or belief that causes ignorance, bewilderment, or helplessness.” The basic idea of the word, along with such other words as “mislead” and “delude,” is to lead someone astray by underhanded means. Surely, a person who is not aware that he or she is being kept in a state of “ignorance, bewilderment, or helplessness” by deliberate misinformation is in serious danger. The really sad fact is that very often the person who is deceived or deluded tends to hold on to his belief in spite of strong evidence proving otherwise. Perhaps he gets so emotionally attached to his belief that he simply shuts his eyes and closes his ears to any evidence that might challenge it.]

• Vanderhoven7
    Vanderhoven7

Excellent quotations Johnamos. Thank you.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit