What do You Think About Hybrid and Electric Cars?

by Village Idiot 45 Replies latest social current

• jookbeard
    jookbeard

and what about the carbon footprint and environmental impact of entire cities switching over to electric and the access to the power points, how will council/sink estates with tower blocks deal with the huge project of installing charge points all over them? in London our electricity substations are powered by huge diesel generators as are most cities in the UK, it seems this Utopian dream is making environmental savings/benefits in one area but making catastrophic disadvantages in in the other

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

Too right Jookie, but don't expect the Tories to do much environmentally, there is no money in it for them.

• Half banana
    Half banana

As it happens I have just test driven half a dozen all electric and hybrid cars for comparison and concluded that the Prius has the best compromises for town and long dIstance use. I don't think it looks that pretty but after a couple of weeks of use it gets 73.3 miles to the UK gallon. It has an1800cc petrol engine, it generates its own electricity from the engine and regenerative braking so it never needs plugging in anywhere. The other bonus is that it is really quiet at any speed. I managed to get about three thousand pounds off by using other garages offers as a bargaining point.

• _Morpheus
    _Morpheus

I have a prius to commute to and from work in. On good days i do better than 50mpg, around 57-60. My record is 77. However that was in heavy traffic, a place where my prius c excells. Winter time it drops (batteries dont as well in cold amd oxygenated fuel) to around 48-52. Over all its well worth it and far more efficient than NOT driving it and getting 20-30 mpq in a other car. Hopefully battery tech will inprov and they will start using lion batts which perform better , but really for me it was an easy choice and i havnt regreted it.

• Village Idiot
    Village Idiot

Jookbeard,

in London our electricity substations are powered by huge diesel generators as are most cities in the UK,...

As I mentioned in a previous post, clean power would eliminate that problem.

• greendawn
    greendawn

A Tesla S with a 100 kWh battery can do 335 miles or 540 Km.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit