What do You Think About Hybrid and Electric Cars?

by Village Idiot 45 Replies latest social current

• Village Idiot
    Village Idiot

Simon, I thought you were talking about the manufacturing of the car which requires the melting of metal, an energy intensive process. My mistake.

As for the energy used for driving that takes us into the issue of alternative energy. With electricity coming from windmills, photovoltaic and concentrated solar power all electrical needs including driving will be met using clean technology.

• jookbeard
    jookbeard

I'm a little concerned about the environmental impact on the planet when the untold millions of these electric/hybrid cars have to have these massive vast batteries disposed of when they malfunction or wear out, dont batteries contain lead,acid and mercury? I'm sure its been thought of but I have yet to see/read any thing about how they are disposed of or recycled

• Village Idiot
    Village Idiot

Jookbeard,

...dont batteries contain lead,acid and mercury?

Lead acid batteries are no longer used in electric cars - they're too heavy. There are many different types of batteries that are more advanced than those and some are safer for our environment.

• GoneAwol
    GoneAwol

Toyota have lead the way in hybrid cars for years now, and they see a future in hydrogen celled electric cars. I would definately have one, but as with everything, it needs to be a consumer price as opposed to a rich git price ie. Tesla.

Also, graphene is being used more in batteries which make them lighter, more powerful and can hold a charge longer. https://www.graphene-info.com/graphene-batteries

Good article here:

http://driving.ca/toyota/mirai/auto-news/news/hydrogen-vs-electric-which-is-actually-more-efficient

• Simon
    Simon
    Simon, I thought you were talking about the manufacturing of the car which requires the melting of metal, an energy intensive process. My mistake.

It's the entire life. Batteries are not environmentally or energy free.

As for the energy used for driving that takes us into the issue of alternative energy. With electricity coming from windmills, photovoltaic and concentrated solar power all electrical needs including driving will be met using clean technology.

Yes, electric vehicles depend on us making other better choices for renewable energy too.

• Village Idiot
    Village Idiot

GoneAwol,

I would definately have one, but as with everything, it needs to be a consumer price as opposed to a rich git price ie. Tesla.

Elon Musk's (CEO of Tesla) has a three stage strategy concerning electric vehicles. Cars for the rich first; cars for the middle class second and cars for the working poor last. He is focusing on cars for the rich first so that he can get enough money to start up production of more reasonably priced vehicles.

Thanks for the links.

• Village Idiot
    Village Idiot

It's the entire life. Batteries are not environmentally or energy free.Batteries are not environmentally or energy free.

I don't have the figures but the manufacture of batteries shouldn't take up more energy than the manufacture of a conventional engine. Also, some current (No pun intended) battery technology - still in the works - are environmentally safe.

• hoser
    hoser

I have issues with the current range of electric vehicles. When they can travel up to a thousand km on one charge in 40 below zero temperatures I might consider one.

• Simon
    Simon

I think the issues with snow and cold also apply to autonomous vehicles.

They seem to work great (ish) on the nicely painted test roads and under the clear sunny skies of California. There's times up here where you have a hard time figuring out where the road is under all the snow ... I'll be impressed if they can handle our winters.

• Village Idiot
    Village Idiot

Hoser,

I have issues with the current range of electric vehicles. When they can travel up to a thousand km on one charge in 40 below zero temperatures I might consider one.

Traveling up 1,000 kilometers (620 miles) is not necessary for any vehicle. My Ford only has a 220 mile range and many cars get about 400 if they get 25 mpg. A Toyota Prius has a 500 mile range.

As for temperatures, there is solid state battery technology (In the first stages of research) that can currently operate in minus 20 Celsius degree (-4 degrees Fahrenheit). With all the leaps and bounds that battery technology is going through it's simply a matter of time. Say 5 years?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit