Bible is good if we look for implied truth

by venus 35 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• venus
    venus

Thumbs-up gesture doesn’t covey much if we see only four fingers closed and thumb standing upward. But if we look for the implied meaning, then it is a positive, informal signal indicating a job well done, and saying ‘keep it up.’

Similarly, biblical accounts don’t convey much if we see them as mere accounts. But if we look for the implied truth, then it is a treasure. For example:

1) God warned Adam and Cain before they could act—this communication had no effect on both of them—one perfect and the other imperfect.

2) God performed great miracles over the Israelites, and Jesus too did the same—yet they had no effect on the people who simply preferred Barabbas to Jesus. Implied truth is that people would not change their course of action no matter what God communicates to them or does in favor of them. Under the force of circumstance even if they change, they would revert just like water rising upward as vapor under the heat and then reverting to liquidity again after the special circumstance ceasing to exist.

3) In Genesis 11:6, 7 we find God speaking about the ability of humans: If all humans are to speak one language, “then nothing they plan to do will be impossible for them. Come, let us go down and confuse their language so they will not understand each other.”

Behind the literalness of this description, an interesting implied truth is conveyed: Both God and Humans alike know that so much of wastage of energy and time can be saved which, in turn, can be diverted into productive purposes if the world reverts to one language. People would leap with joy over such a prospect—we breathe the same air, drink the same water, and speak the same language. Yet humans also know that individuals are unlikely to agree to abandon their language in favor of another. Even a mere suggestion would result in resentment and conflicts! In other words, need is appreciatively and intensely felt, but adaptation is not possible as both offset each other.

If this is the state of affairs with humans, it is pointless for God to communicate with them! This is the irony from the Bible, the so-called written communication of God that it is pointless for God to communicate with humans.

• waton
    waton

lessons from Red Riding Hood : do not talk to the animals, same for the snake story.

• punkofnice
    punkofnice

How's Brahma Kumaris today, then?

• cofty
  • Onager
    Onager

The implications drawn from any account are based on the thinking of the person drawing the implications and so if you do that, the account itself is largely irrelevant. A person can draw positive lessons from bible accounts, or from Grimm's fairy tales, or even from a supermarket shopping receipt found on the floor.

• cofty
    cofty

Every hour from 3.30 a.m. thru’ to 10.30 p.m. is taken up with meditation class, meditation, meditation, that’s a seven-day a week schedule, 7 days, 52 weeks there are no holidays. You don’t just go to church on one day a week. It is every day of the week. No sex, no touching, segregation, showering after going to the toilet, washing genitals after urinating, only keeping Brahma Kumaris company, no gods apart from theirs, no practises apart from theirs, no novels, no cinemas, no medias. You can only eat food that’s cooked by Brahma Kumaris, you can only eat vegetarian no eggs no onions and then inside that single day, your day is then broken down to hourly sections. This is a chart they use each week, cut into daily sections each month and then it is set into annual sections...

• cofty
    cofty

Let me talk about sex now. In fact why has that always been so hard to speak of, are you now cringing inside you as I was for so many years? Externally, I could not talk about the efforts I made to conquer lust, but inside I hoped no one would ever see my real feelings.

I put it to you that most of the problems in the BKs come from unresolved sexual desires manifesting for example in perversion, power struggles and grown people flirting like 12 year old children. Repressed sexuality also opens doors to all kinds of abuse. My sister and her friend, as young children, were sexually abused on several occasions by different people in Madiban and Delhi.

Madiban is where god incarnates on to earth, in case you don’t know. Delhi is the number one centre outside of Madiban. They’re the no. 1 and no. 2 centres in the Brahma Kumaris. These incidents happened in consequence with different people involved, which suggests a paedophile network within it. Now we know that things happen in life but we are more concerned about the response, the response of leadership to that. Their response was to do nothing. The individuals perpetuating this sexual abuse were left in the position for years. The child was blamed, it was her karma to be sexually abused because obviously she had been sexually abused in her past life and in fact, because it happened in Madiban, which is the god city, it was actually better for her because she had cleared away more of her past karma. They then went on publicly to deny this had ever happened, blaming it on a taxi driver. She was travelling alone within friends at the time.”

When one of our four members went to struggle to establish a child protection programme within the BKs he fought for over five years before they would actually consider putting down to paper anything near child protection. It’s unfortunately typical part of their modus operandi. “My mother was powerless to do anything. Do not look too closely; do not listen to many stories, lest the fragile dream be shattered. What makes it worst was that the seniors have always been aware of these all too common travesties within the organisation, yet they have done nothing but hide them away. I find I had to split my personality all I learned from the Bks were to suppress things so that the surface is calm.”

• DesirousOfChange
    DesirousOfChange

No sex, no touching,

I would expect this Cult to go the way of the Shakers.

• scratchme1010
    scratchme1010
    ...But if we look for the implied meaning, then it is a positive, informal signal indicating a job well done, and saying ‘keep it up.’...

Too much work. I rather use Google.

• waton
    waton

It is not that there is no absolute truth in the bible, with ~ 50 000 verses, just by trial and error there has to be some correct observations.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit